Chapter Twenty-One

Chris practically limped to the entrance having his power drained by those damned crystals. He needed to get to the other side before he could collapse. He was surprised that he wasn't dead. That shadow could've killed him without hesitation, but still, somehow he survived once more. He went to the button and pressed it making it create stairs once more. When he saw the light from above he blew out the light and went back up. He pressed the button that was hidden in the wall this whole time. When it closed he sat down in one of the chairs calming down. Chris took in deep breaths making the adrenaline rush fade away. He struggled to get up and he didn't fall over. He could walk normally now so he didn't have any hesitation to get out of there. He wasn't hurt badly, just a small purple bruise inflicted onto his hand. He knew the thing would fade within a week so he didn't bother to heal it. Not so long after he heard a ruckus from the living room. 

'They must be playing uno again..'

He laughed softly to himself knowing that they were. He went over to the living room to watch. He saw that Cross was playing as well so he took his place on the couch. When the round was over Killer looked behind him for his phone and noticed Chris on the couch watching contently.

"Oh hey kid, came back to watch."

He nodded in response with a small grin on his face. Then the teary-eyed skeleton noticed an unfamiliar glint in his eyes. He looked deeper and realized that they were two different colors.

"Uh, kid?"

"Yeah?"

"How come your eyes are different from each other?"

"There what!-"

"Relax, look."

Killer went to the camera app on his phone and gave it to Chris. The boy saw his left eye was normal brown that almost looks black, while his right was a crystalized purple haze that faded into black. He grew wide-eyed at the sight of it. Killer saw the panic in his eyes and took his phone back.

"Hey, calm down. Accident or not they look kinda cool."

"I mean they do but what if Nightmare notices?"

"So what? Ya scared of him or something?" He said in a low voice like he was trying not to get the other's attention.

"No, I'm not scared of him. I will admit that he gets intimidating at times."

"Yeah, that bastard is pretty powerful for the king of nightmares, don't ya think?"

Chris nodded calmly in response.

"So how's training been going?"

"Well, so far it's just been the basics. Dodging, creating attacks faster, and healing myself twice as fast. Also teaching me about soul traits and the balance of the Au's that you have to obtain the balance for."

"Really? Are you just learning it or have you been knowing?"

"Well, he's just now telling me this Kills."

"That probably means that he's trusting ya'. I suggest not breaking it."

"I'll try not to. Thanks."

"No problem! How did you get that?"

"I don't know. I haven't noticed until you pointed it out."

"Hmm,"

"Pointed what out?" Nightmare said coming down the stairs.

"T-that! U-u-umm! That Cross was cheating in Uno!" Chris said spurring out the words.

"HOW DID YOU-"

"You were cheatin' this whole time huh?" Dust said taking out his knife.

"I'm not!" He argued getting flustered getting called out. 

"I̸͚͋̓ ̵̜̋f̶̤̏͊-̶̡͚̆f̴̯̠̒͂u̵̡͘Ċ̶͙̄k̴͓̥̇Ḭ̴̼̍̂n̷͉̑͠g̵͜͝ ̶̮͑̚ͅk̶̘̩̃n̵̙̅͝3̸̛͕͋w̶̬̐ ̸̰̈́ȉ̸͍͝-̴̯̿̇i̵̗͑̇ṯ̴̂!̴̻͊" Error glitched. 

It wasn't until then that he realized that Error was playing too. It's hard to tell with Error since he doesn't pick up the cards much and he's still on the couch. Before Nightmare could say another word the three were about to destroy Cross before he teleported away before a single attack could strike him.

"Boss can we-"

"Sure whatever just stay outside so you won't destroy the castle. Killer, I suggest you join them they might need your help."

He nodded before leaving. As soon as Killer was out of sight he slowly turned to face Nightmare.

"D-do you need something?"

Without warning, he wrapped a tentacle around the boy's waist. Chris's eyes widen out of pure fear remembering the dream he had before of Nightmare killing him for being a traitor. He felt his heart starting to thump in his chest as he shut his eyes tightly waiting fearfully for some sort of punishment. A minute goes by and nothing happens. Chris cracked open his eyes to notice Nightmare's confused expression.

"What's wrong? Why are you closing your eyes for? Don't you want to see the boys fight each other?"

"...Y-yeah."

"If that's the case then teleporting would be faster don't you think?"

He nodded feeling like an idiot, he's not going to hurt him. That's what Chris thought. He tried to make himself believe that the dream never happened. It never worked out for him, he started to feel more anxious than ever. He wanted to tell Nightmare about the dream but he doesn't want to think that he's scared of him. In truth, it varies. Nightmare being a bit suspicious about the boy teleported them to a balcony that they had at the castle. It was obvious to Nightmare that something was wrong with Chris. The way he looked down whenever he spoke to him, and how he flinched whenever his tentacle wrapped around him. It was obvious for him to just brush it off as nothing.

"Son, you know you can talk to me if something is wrong right?"

"Yeah, I know. If you think something's wrong then there isn't."

"Why are you looking down there for? My eyes are up here."

"I'm aware of that. I just want to see their moves. That's all."

He was lying right to his face. Nightmare was tired of hearing lies from him.

"Heh, do you want to train downstairs tonight?"

"You mean that holding cell where you keep prisoners at?"

"That's the one."

"Sure."

Chris tried to pretend that the dream never happened, but for him, it was difficult to even look at him. Not because of his eye difference because he was afraid to see his true nature. When the boys came back they practically dragged Cross inside by his legs.

"Boss was back with the dumbass of the century!" Dust shouted from below.

"Congrats, now put him in his room!" Nightmare yelled.

Nightmare glared at Chris and saw a guilty look on his face as he continued to look down on the world beyond.