Chapter One

(Before we start this is an AU where Chris didn't die, so some of this stuff might be different than the actual thing, with that in mind enjoy this story. Also, credits go to underfellgirl13 for the story idea! So check them out!)

In this universe, there was an imbalance of good and evil. Evil is more predominant now than ever. There was a dark castle located far from the city. The type of place no normal human or monster would go in. Some say that if you were to enter the castle you would never be the same. The castle in question was where Nightmare Sans and his crew resided. A feeling of eerie darkness and uncertainty always lurked there. Yet by now, they were used to it. That included the being known as Nightmare. Ever since he claimed his reign on this side of the multiverse Nightmare felt like something was missing. Sure he was always feared by most of the people in his vicinity but he felt a void in his soul. Something that wasn't easy to fill on his own. The type of emptiness that you feel after being alone for so long. For some reason, Nightmare wanted a kid. One he could call his own and teach his ways to. As this thought came another one ensued. The more he thought the more he came to realize something. He'd be an awful father. He didn't know much about kids aside from what was left of the old him. Even then there wasn't much left there. Inside and out he was still the king of negativity by the end of it. At some point he knew his time would come but then who would live out his legacy? Who would tell his story if he was gone? These were typical thoughts that he's been having for months now. He wasn't suicidal or anything it was more like a "what if" sort of thing. So he sat there thinking for what felt like an hour straight until he decided to explore the dreams of the orphans. Either to torment them or just to watch from the sidelines. Before he was able to do that however he was interrupted. The skeleton opened his eye and looked over. Seeing Cross standing there with his arms crossed. By this point, he lost his train of thought. More simply the train derailed and is currently swerving off of the tracks by Cross trying to call for him to get his attention.

"Yes, what is it, Cross?" Nightmare replied with a glare.

"Well, the others were getting concerned about you just sitting here with your eye closed." Cross said, "Is everything alright?" he asked him.

With this, Nightmare sighed as he got up from his seat. His movements were slow as he did so not wanting to seem in a rush as he stood. Cross took a slight step back to give Nightmare the room.

"Don't be," he replied, "Don't waste your worry on me and get back to work, that's an order."

The way Nightmare was looking at the other skeleton meant that there would be no argument against his word. No matter what it would be it was non-negotiable up until now. So with this Cross nods in response.

"Got it, boss," Cross said before walking away.

After Cross walked off Nightmare teleported to his room so he could focus. Once he was alone he made his way to his dreamscape. He didn't know why but he wanted to test something. Luckily enough his brother, Dream had more on his plate to deal with at the moment. Making it easier to do what he wanted to do without having to fight about it. Nowadays the youth has strange dreams than they did back then. The more time went on the more interesting the nightmares became. Honestly, Nightmare wanted the dreams in motion for himself. The dreamscape was light and colorful around this time. People going to sleep early wasn't rare, insomniacs finally taking naps and resting their heads as well. This place however can be both peaceful and chaotic all at once. That was the beauty of the dreamscape. The overly joyful dreams made him gag. The more the dark goopy skeleton looked around the deeper it got. Then he stopped and looked at one dream in particular. The dream belonged to a young child and yet this dream was filled to the brim with fear and sorrow but why? His singular eye looked at the dream with a strange sense of curiosity. With this so he went into the dream and he was teleported into a dark house. There wasn't any light, let alone electricity. Nightmare couldn't tell if the electricity was just switched off or if it was truly out. Not wanting to mess with anything in the dream at the moment. At least not yet anyway. Nightmare loomed in the shadows of the fabricated house. Reminding himself that none of it was real. Nightmare then froze he heard heavy breathing from what could only be the child's bedroom. Hyperventilating it seemed the closer he got. Nightmare looked around as he teleported inside of the room and hid away in the shadows. That was where he found where the source of the fear and negativity was coming from. It came from the subconscious of a young boy that looked very exhausted. It seemed bad to the point he looked like he was going to pass out in his own dream. The kid held a flashlight and crept over to the closet door. Opening it with a creaking sound. Only to regret that choice seconds later seeing a terrifying-looking fox animatronic. The boy screamed as he tried to slam the closet door shut. His panic increased before Nightmare's eyes the more desperate the boy had gotten.