5

Chapter 5: The Email 

A/N: Sorry for the long wait. Good thing is that I should have Ch 6 up in less than 24-32hours.  

"So what you're asking me, is what to give someone for a late Valentines Day gift without it seeming weird?"

"Yeah, kind of." You scratch the cup of your ice cream container with your nail; Annie watches you with a look that you can't quite decipher.

"Well you could always give him socks."

You shake your head. "That feels too...dry."

"Well what did you expect?" she asks with a raised brow, "Or were you thinking of writing him a personalized love letter saying:

''Oh yes, thank you my beloved companion for walking me home and gifting me the finest girl scout cookies in all the land. I shall give you my handkerchief as a token of my appreciation." She says while sarcastically placing a hand over her heart.

"Don't think it over too much. You know how men are."

You perch your eyebrows. "Oh, about that- what happened with Furlan?"

"He's a dick." she states, rather bluntly. "He ditched me because he felt like it, and I felt like a total idiot that night."

"Correction, for part of the night." 

"What happened then?"

"There was a waiter," she explains shortly before sticking another spoonful of ice cream into her mouth.

"A waiter?"

"Yeah. He told me that because that asshole didn't show up, you're charged a $40 bill for being absent. Turns out, they charged him instead. Glad to know that at least they billed him for something he came up with."

"And what about the waiter?"

"He was...nice, polite. The guy actually followed me out of the restaurant and walked me to get a Taxi. We talked for a bit, and then he struck up the idea of getting ice cream. I told him that there was no way any shop would be open at 9pm on Valentine's Day, but he said a good friend of his worked at one and that she would let us in." She pauses.

"I know it sounds kinda sketchy by the way that sounds, but he was my best bet. Plus," she pauses once more.

"The guy would've been a real idiot to pick up a fight with a girl slightly taller than him, and one of Shiganshina's best athletes."

A widespread, blushing smile took over you. "And what happened next?"

"We got there, and we talked with his friend. I think her name was Sasha, but she was really friendly. We talked for a bit before finishing our desert at the local park, and he ended up Uber-ing with me home." she explains.

"So he walked you home?"

"Technically, yes. I felt like I owed him -not because he's a man like I'm sorta KAM (kill all men) and all, but I told him to text me when he gets home alright because it was pretty late by then."

"So you got his number!!" you shouted, slamming your fist against the table at a volume the only the two of you could hear.

She nods, almost shyly. "I did. We've only talked once after that, but talking with him is what you could say... interesting."

"Oh, so is that why you wanted to get ice cream? I didn't think you were that much of a fan." 

Your friend shrugged.
"Well maybe you'll see me eating more of it. That, or it's just a phase." she jokes before changing the subject.