Chapter 14

KATELYN'S POV

I was having a really great time with all the boys and my closest friends when I hear my ringtone go off. I get my phone out of my pocket and check the caller I.D. thinking it was my mom just checking up on us to see if we are all ok, but no. I read the name one more time, then excuse myself quickly from the table and go out the entrance doors outside. I sigh and slide the accept bar on my phone that allows me to answer. My heart starts racing because I don't know why he is calling me. "What do you want Andrew!?" I say with a bit of an attitude. The boy answers, "Katelyn, this isn't Andrew, it's Alex." "Well that's rare and kinda funny because every time I get a call from your phone, it's always Andrew taking care of your problems." "I know, Katelyn, I'm sorry, but I need to tell you something." "Oh, now you decide to tell me something!? Wow, because last time I checked, you didn't tell me anything important anymore! Like about your girlfriend, Sydney, or whatever her name is that I didn't find out from you, but heard from literally everyone else!" I was getting furious at this point remembering all that has happened between us these last six or so months. "You mean Cindy?" "Like I care Alex, it's not important to me." "Well you know what is important to me?" "What? How much you love her? What you want to buy her? What you wanna do with her? What? What's so important to you?" He answers in almost a whisper. "You, Katelyn. You are important to me." I am almost speechless, but then I get back to my train of thought and he wasn't going to be happy with it. I'm not putting up with all this again. "Oh, you mean because you told me we are still best friends? Oh, wait. Since when do best friends ignore each other? Since when do best friends keep secrets from each other? Since when did best friends talk behind the other best friend's back?" "Katelyn, I'm sorry, I realized how stupid I have been since you told me how you felt. I really didn't know what to do when you told me, so I said no because I saw what it did to my friendship with my ex girlfriend before that. Then I started dating Cindy and it didn't feel right, so I broke up with her last night. I wanna date you and no one else." "You know what Alex? That isn't going to happen. You blew your chance. You broke my trust. You broke my heart. And you probably didn't even notice because I pretended like everything was still ok, then we got more and more distant. I wish I would have never told you how I felt." "Katelyn, please listen to me. I'm telling the truth now, I really want to be with you." "Alex, I said no. Now I gotta go, I'm wasting my time when I should be having fun." "Katelyn, please." "Alex, no, you lost your chance, I will think about the friendship, but dating is a definite no, now I gotta go." "Ok, please think about it Katelyn, I really need you in my life." "Bye Alex." And with that I pressed the end call icon on my phone. I locked the screen and just looked up at the night sky. I hear someone clear their throat, I turn around and see Josh standing there and then he breaks the silence, "Hey, are you ok?" "Yeah, I'm fine, thanks anyway." "It didn't sound like everything was ok, wanna talk about it?" "Maybe later, how long were you standing there by the way?" "Almost the whole conversation, sorry to follow, we just wanted to make sure you were ok, so I volunteered to go see." "It's fine. Thanks Josh." "No problem, do you need a hug?" He asks me. "One thing you need to know about me, I almost never turn down a hug." I told him with a smile then dove into the hug. When we pull away, Josh says, "Well now that this is all over, why don't we go back to the rest of them." "Sounds great to me." Then he put out his arm to escort me and I link arms with him.

JOSH'S POV

When Katelyn got up to answer her phone, I offered to follow her to make sure she was ok. I was actually thinking about asking her out tonight and I thought if I get the courage to when I go after her then I would ask. I walk out the entrance and hear her basically yelling, without causing any attention to herself, at the person on the other end of the phone. She is talking about what friends don't do or something. I keep listening, then hear, "You broke my heart." And "pretended it was still ok." how could someone treat her like this, she didnt deserve that. Then a little later in the conversation I hear, "I will think about the friendship, but dating is a definite no..." And that's when my courage vanished. She doesn't want to date anyone. Oh well, I tried I guess. I ask her is everything is ok and then give her a hug and escort her back to the others. You know what? I will try anyway. I now have a plan.