Pumped Up Kicks - Tate Langdon

At first you didn't notice them. The sound could've been explained in many different way. A door slamming too hard. Someone nearby set off fireworks. A balloon popped. But then they got louder, and more repetitive. There was no mistaking the noise. They were gunshots.

You froze in terror as the book you were holding slipped from your hands and fell to the library floor with a dull thud. You looked around at the other students in the library, trying to figure out what to do.

The librarian dashed for the door, locking it just before the handle started to rattle. You ran, crawling under the nearest table, hoping you wouldn't be seen.

Then it stopped. The room fell silent once more, and everyone let out a collective sigh of relief. But the only problem was, there was another door. Before the librarian was able to lock it, the door burst open. Shoots fired and the librarian fell to the floor.

You curled your legs into your body, trying your best to hide your shaking. All around you, you heard gunshots, and bodies falling to the floor. Everyone was gone. You were the only one left in the room.

You watched as the shooter slowly walked away, and you let out the breath you were holding in. You were safe, you weren't going to die.

But that relief left your mind the second the table on top of you was thrown aside, leaving you exposed. They were in front of you. You were going to die.

Slowly you looked up and gasped when you saw who it was. Tate Langdon, your best friend. He was the one doing this? A million questions flooded your mind as you stared into his eyes.

"Tate, please you don't have to do this."

He crouched down in front of you, meeting your eyes.

"You're wrong y/n. This is what I was meant to do."

"But why me? Tate you're my best friend. Please don't do this," tears came to your eyes as you pleaded with him.

"You're the only person whose ever cared about me. That's why I have to do this. I'm saving you. I'm sending you somewhere clean. Somewhere kind. Away from this filthy world that we live in."

Before you had the chance to say anything else, Tate shot you. You looked down and saw the blood pooling underneath you, spilling out of your stomach. You fell back, colliding with the floor. You felt your life fade away, and then you were gone.

17 years later

It was halloween again. The one day of the year that you could leave the school you were forever imprisoned in. You stepped out of the confines of the school, smiling as the cool October breeze met your skin.

But the other victims with you didn't share your joy in freedom. Their minds were always only on one thing. Revenge.

"Come on guys! This is the one day of the year that we're free and you wanna waste it on getting back at him?"

"We're not getting back at him y/n. We just wanna know why? Don't you?" Chloe said as she looked at you.

"Well yeah, but why does it matter? It happened and there's nothing we can do about it. C'mon guys we should do something fun it's our one day of freedom!"

"Look you don't have to come with us, but we need to talk to him," Stephanie replied, glancing sadly towards you.

"Yeah, and if we scare him, that's just a bonus," Kyle laughed slightly.

Everyone talking about Tate was starting to get to you. After everything that happened, you still had feelings for him. You don't want to, but you can't help it. The two of you were so close before you died. And even after all this time, your feelings still haven't changed.

"I know how hard seeing him is for you. You don't have to come with us. Go have fun, visit your family."

"Thanks Steph, but I think I need to do this. I haven't seen him since," you trailed off, not wanting to mention your death again.

"Then let's go, we're losing daylight," Kyle yelled.

~

There he was. Sitting on the beach with some girl. Maybe she's dead too? It doesn't matter, she's not why you're here. You stood behind and watched as everyone walked up towards him.

"I don't know any of you."

As soon as the words left his mouth, your eyes widened. How doesn't he remember?! How could he possibly forget something like that?!

Then Kevin turned to you, motioning you over. You slowly stepped out from the shadows and walked towards Tate. As soon as he saw you he gasped. He recognized you.

"Why did you do it Tate?" you asked him, your voice breaking slightly.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Tate said, close to tears.

"You really don't remember?"

He shook his head.

"Tate, you killed me. You killed all of us. Just please, tell me why you did it!" you pleaded with him hoping he would remember.

When he didn't say anything, you reached forward and grabbed his hand. In an instant, memories flooded through Tate's mind. He remembered. He remembered everything.

"I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry. I thought I was doing something good. I thought I was saving you. I don't know what I was thinking. I killed the only person I've ever loved."

Tate pulled you into a hug, wrapping his arms around you tightly. Hesitantly you returned the gesture. Embracing the boy you loved.

"I love you y/n. I'm sorry. I wish I could take it back. I never wanted to kill you I don't know what came over me."

"I-," you stopped speaking, trying to find the words.

"I love you too Tate. But I can't be with you. Not yet at least. You ruined everything. You took my life away from me. I was going to be someone someday. But you took that away," you slowly pulled away from him as the words left your mouth.

"Y/n please," he pleaded as you turned and started to walk away.

"I'm sorry. But I just can't do this."

And before Tate could say anything else, you took off running. Right now you wanted nothin more than to be back at that school. Even though it was your prison, anything was better than having to face Tate again. Anything.