happier - Bill Denbrough

we broke up a month ago
your friend's aren't mine, you know, i know
you've moved on, found someone new
one more girl who brings out the better in you

Dating Bill Denbrough was one of the happiest summer's of your life. You spent every day with him and his friends, growing closer to them every day. The five of you were inseparable. That was the greatest summer you've ever had. You thought nothing could ever tear you apart. You loved Bill, and he said that he loved you. He seemed to mean it too. But after everything, how could he?

and i thought my heart was attached
for all the sunlight of our past
but she's so sweet, she's so pretty
does she mean you forgot about me?

When the summer ended and school started again, something happened. Something changed. Bill seemed distant. He was rarely around you anymore, and no one would tell you why. You tried to still be friends with Stan, Richie, and Eddie, but since they were always with Bill it was hard. He rarely talked to you for the first few months of school. But then, Georgie disappeared. And suddenly he was back. Clinging onto you, not knowing where else to turn to. And you took him back. Brushing it off as nothing.

oh, i hope you're happy, but not like how you were with me
i'm selfish, i know, i can't let you go
so find someone great, but don't find no one better
i hope you're happy, but don't be happier

It was the last day of school. And some part of you hoped that maybe things would go back to the way it used to be. Maybe Bill wouldn't be so distant. Maybe the tension between everyone would disappear, and you would finally have your friends back. But after the final bell rang, Bill pulled you aside, and said he didn't want to be with you anymore. He wasn't ready to be with someone right now. It hurt, but you went with it, wanting him to be happy. Maybe, someday when he was ready, he would come back.

and do you tell her she's the most beautiful girl you've ever seen?
an eternal love bullshit you know you'll never mean
remember when i believed you meant it when you said it first to me?

It turns out he was ready to get back into a relationship sooner than you thought. You were biking through Derry, trying to waste the day away, when you saw him with Beverly Marsh. She was riding behind him on his bike, hugging him closely. And seeing them together hurt. That was supposed to be you. You were supposed to be with him, not her. You wanted him back. Part of you was happy that he was happy again, but you wanted him to be happy with you, not someone else.

and now i'm picking her apart
like cutting her down make you miss my wretched heart
but she's beautiful, she's kind, she probably gives you butterflies

They were together all the time now. It's like they were inseparable, like how the two of you used to be. Richie, Eddie, and Stan were there too. It's like she took your place. She stole your friends. Your life. Everyone you've ever loved. It was all hers now. And there were two new people who you didn't know. It was as if he wanted everyone except you around. He left you and moved on, finding new friends, and someone new to love. And the worst part was, you couldn't even hate Beverly. She was amazing, beautiful, and one of the nicest girls you've ever met. No matter how hard you tried, you just couldn't hate someone as perfect as her.

i hope you're happy, but not like how you were with me
i'm selfish, i know, i can't let you go
so find someone great, but don't find no one better
i hope you're happy, i wish you all the best, really

You saw them kiss. They were really together now. This was really happening. The small shards of hope you had of getting back with him were disappearing. You were happy that he found someone who made him happy, but it still hurt. Was he happier with her? Were you not good enough for him? Why did he leave you? Did he love her all along? Hundreds of questions flooded your brain as you quickly pedaled away. You couldn't bear to see them together any more. It hurt too much.

say you love her, baby, just not like you loved me
and think of me fondly when your hands are on her
i hope you're happy, but don't be happier

"You're with her now, aren't you?" you asked Bill as you walked towards him.

"Yeah," he said, smiling softly.

"She makes you happy, doesn't she?"

He nodded, smiling once more.

"Does she make you happier than I did?"

He didn't answer this time. Tension grew between the two of you as he avoided your question. At that moment Beverly walked over to the two of you, a bright smile on her face as she ran over and wrapped her arms around Bill.

"Hey! You're y/n, right?"

You nodded, trying to wear a fake smile.

"I'm Beverly," she said, smiling at you, draping one arm over Bill.

"Nice to meet you."

"So what were you two talking about?" she asked, her smile never faltering.

"Nothing really, just catching up. Anyways, I should get going now. Bye," you muttered softly before getting on your bike and leaving.

Even though he didn't answer you, you knew what he meant. He was happier with her. She was better for him than you were. And no matter what you did, nothing would ever change that.

i hope you're happy, just not like how you were with me
i'm selfish, i know, i can't let you go
so find someone great, but don't find no one better
i hope you're happy, but don't be happier