Bolt

I turn the last page of Juliet's book and bite my tongue to keep my eyes from filling with tears. It's as if she's sitting next to me. As each page became the next her presence was closer and closer to me.

Until I finished the book and found myself in my room, alone.

Laying back on my pillow, I feel his claws digging into my brain once again. The thoughts of Juliet silenced him, even gone she heals me.

But now the reality that I'm alone and I've lost her has returned, and he's hungry for blood.

As if the world heard his growls, my door is knocked on and thrown open by a feral looking Bear.

"Bolt!" He roars, "We need you. Now!"

In an instant I've leapt from the bed and am running down the clubhouse staircase behind my president who is shaking with fury. I don't yet know why he's pissed, or why he needs a hellhound but I'm ready. No questions asked.

The door to the bar reveals the source of Bear's uncontrolled fury. Astrid is sitting in a booth and shaking wildly, tears trembling down her cheeks and is hyperventilating slightly as she tries to get oxygen into her lungs. Her hands are clutching at her belly along with Eira, who is also bawling in fear.

As we get closer I can see why Eira is so distressed. A huge handprint is red across her chubby cheek, a slap mark. A male hand.

My blood is bought to the boil before I even have to call on the beast, I'm the beast now. Red hot rage is pumping through me and I'm eager to burn the enemy down.

Bear kneels down before his wife and daughter, pressing kisses all over them until the tears stop, then he rubs Astrid's belly softly. I'm too enraged to even feel the twinge of loneliness I expect to feel.

If Bear doesn't give me someone I can rip apart soon I'm going to have to find someone myself.

The warriors crowd around the scene, all of us just as pissed as the other. To target a club member is foolish and dangerous, but to target our families is signing your death warrant. I suspect whoever they are used Astrid to send a warning to us, she'd gone shopping for baby clothes with her sister so the opportunity was clearly there.

"Where did they target them?" Viper grounds out, his teeth almost popping in his jaw as he clenches it tightly. It could have been Doretha and Maddy, it could have been his family. A fact he knows all too well.

Bear seems almost beyond comprehensive sentences, I just points to the bikes and then leaves the room. Cracking his knuckles with promise as we all load up to head to wherever our president tells us to go.

We fly through the town, people and cars get out of the way at just the sound of us advancing.

Somehow, I've managed to retain some semblance of control over my own darkness, it seems my rage battles out against his.

Suddenly, a darkness in an alley catches my eye, it's caught Bear's too because we all pull to a halt.

There are motorbikes and men in leather cuts down there, we can hear their harsh laughs and voices.

I make out the phrase 'pregnant whore' and I know Bear has heard it too. He lets out a snarl with blood curdling hatred. I really wouldn't want to be the man who said that about our queen right about now.

We split up, Dagger, Mouse and Viper go around the building to the other side of the alley. There will be no escape from justice for them now.

Bear looks over at me, a vein in his forehead throbbing with the fire pumping through his body, he gives me a single nod. A single order.