Who is Panchali?

Prishati was surprised to hear the incidence of the words which Kunti uttered which would finally lead Draupadi to marry all the Pandavas. "Is this correct swami?" she asked Drupad. He said "I know that according to Shastra marrying five men is not allowed. But disobeying one's mother, is the greatest sin. Let us call Pandavas and Draupadi to the palace. Draupadi will marry her husbands here infront of me. I will plead Sage Vyasa to guide me in this matter." One royal message was sent to the hut of Pandavas. The king of Panchal had invited them with Draupadi to his palace. The Pandavas reached the palatial mansion with Draupadi and their mother. A royal welcome was given to them.

Sage Vyasa was present with Queen Prishati and King Drupad. "I welcome you all to Panchal. Oh Arjun! I was praying that only you must marry Draupadi, for you are worth her wit and beauty. Dhristadyumna was standing outside your hut listening to whatever happened among you. You all are dutiful and loyal sons of your mother. I understand that you can't disobey your mother, but according to Shastras, how can Draupadi marry five men? Inorder to show us one way out of this, I've called Vyasa Maharishi." The Pandavas greeted Sage Vyasa and Draupadi's parents. Sage Vyasa said "Drupad, I know that you are not willing for this wedding of Draupadi with five Pandavas. My knowledge tells me that Draupadi and these Pandavas are not ordinary people."

"Knowing that Bhudevi was troubled with evil acts of evil kings who ruled upon her land, the gods Dharma, Vayu, Indra and Ashwinikumars decided to incarnate in this world of mortals and establish Dharma

"Knowing that Bhudevi was troubled with evil acts of evil kings who ruled upon her land, the gods Dharma, Vayu, Indra and Ashwinikumars decided to incarnate in this world of mortals and establish Dharma. With them, their respective wives Shyamala(Dharma), Bharati (Vayu), Shachi(Indra) and Usha(Ashwinikumaras) decided to merge into one transcendental lady. Fire God Agni had taken care of that lady as his own child and that woman only is your dear Draupadi and her destiny is to marry five husbands, who are manifestations of gods."

Listening to Vyasa Maharishi, everyone was relieved of their worries. Draupadi could not believe that she was manifestation of 5 goddesses and that Pandavas were manifestations of 5 gods. She came to realise that her destiny had decided that she had to marry five men. She trusted Maharishi Vyasa's words as he was wise and transcendental. Till then, Krishna had reached Panchal. He had not gone to his kingdom as he knew that the Brahmana who win Draupadi was none other than his dear friend Arjun and his brothers were the Pandavas. When Draupadi saw Krishna, she wondered how did he know that today was her marriage. But quickly she realised that Krishna must be knowing that the Brahmana who won her was Arjun and that was why he kept quiet on his seat to not let the Kauravas know that the Pandavas were alive and well. "How wise was Sri Krishna! He managed to conceal the identity of Pandavas so well", Draupadi pondered.

Arjun gave one hug to Krishna as he saw him walking to the wedding area. Krishna happily said "I'm pleased my dear Arjun! Your marriage with Draupadi will be beneficial for you all. May you prosper in life." The Pandavas were glad to have Krishna as their guest who would be witness to their marriage. Krishna touched the feet of Kunti who was his aunt. Sitting upon the seat of gold, he watched the wedding ceremony as the priests started chanting mantras. Drupada was assured that his Draupadi was safe with Pandavas. According to tradition, as Yudhisthir was the elder brother, he married Draupadi first and then his brothers. After Yudhisthir married Draupadi, Vrikodara(Bheema) married her, then Arjun and after him came the turn of Nakul and Sahadev. Her hair parting has decorated with vermillion now, signifying that she was one married woman and ready for her new life. Both Prishati and Drupad, blessed Draupadi and her husbands. Maharishi Vyasa blessed Draupadi to live happily with her husbands. Mata Kunti and Krishna also blessed them. Krishna had brought many gifts for his beloved Pandavas and for Draupadi. While gifting her one pearl necklace, Krishna said to her, "Welcome to the Pandava family. Hope we can be friends now like me and Arjun." Draupadi smiled. She was pleased that she was finally talking to Dwarikadhish.

 She was pleased that she was finally talking to   Dwarikadhish