Show Off

Avoid These 5 Forms of Showing Off

Salman al-Ouda

It is related that Prophet Muhammad ﷺ said:

“The greatest fear I have for my community is a lesser form of polytheism… showing off.”  (Ahmad)

It is showing off when a person intends to do a good deed for other than God’s sake.

1. Showing off in One’s Faith

★ This is the "most serious kind" and it is not a “lesser” form of polytheism. Another word for it is hypocrisy.

2. Showing off with One’s Appearance

This is to make oneself appear as if one is engaged in a lot of devotions

★ like to deliberately cultivate a prostration mark on the forehead

★ It also includes bowing the head in false humility while walking or keeping disheveled hair to appear ascetic.

3. Showing off Through what One Says

Prophet Muhammad ﷺ said:

“Whoever calls attention to himself, Allah will call attention to how he really is.”.. (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

★ This includes quoting wise sayings, exhorting people to righteousness, and quoting hadith to bolster one’s “pious” reputation.

4. Showing off Through One’s Deeds

This includes spending an extra long time standing, bowing or prostrating in prayer when others are watching.

5. Showing off Through Association

This is like making sure to be seen with prominent scholars and pious people in order to be associated with them in the people’s eyes.

In all cases, the "crux of the matter is not the action itself, but what motivates the action in the first place".

"The motivation" for showing off stems from either a "desire for praise", "an aversion for people’s low opinion", or a "covetousness for what other people possess."

As long as your original intention is for God, then you should go forward with the good deed you intend. Do not let fear of showing off keep you from doing something good.

 Do not let fear of showing off keep you from doing something good