Chapter 34

Who's here from the notification?? Say hello!

If you want a little throwback, reread chapter eighteen. It has a little cameo in this chapter (hello rereaders, I'm sure you'll appreciate this one).

Also, I recommend listening to Clementine by Halsey when they talk later in the chapter. You'll know where I mean! 

From: Harry to Lux

Make sure she's okay

Please

Course I will, mate. She's one of us

For me, mate. Make sure she's okay for me

I know. I will

EDDIE.

Ten minutes. They said they were going to be ten minutes. Ten minutes until I'd be in the company of people I knew, people I could trust again.

Going out by myself in a foreign country had been one of my stupidest ideas, in hindsight. Definitely not something I was planning on doing again anytime soon.

Now that I wasn't freaking out as much, it gave me time to reflect on the fact I'd called Harry for help. I think it was obvious that not much thought had gone into it, because if I was thinking rationally he would've been the last person I would've called - right now.

There had to be some meaning to it, right? There had to be a reason I'd called him and not Dylan - or Freya, or literally anyone else I was here with. No, despite everything, I had gone ahead and called him. Maybe it was because I was used to calling him. Maybe, when faced with a tremendous amount of dread and anxiety, it was him I wanted to talk to. That meant something, right?

It was like I kept on trying to convince myself...I wanted to trick myself into thinking I called him for a deeper reason, a reason that just maybe might make me want to accept his apology. But hey - it could've been the anxiety of the situation.

I couldn't forgive him. I'd always been dead set against cheating. It was one of the worst things you could do whilst in a relationship, and I'd always promised myself I wouldn't let myself get cheated on twice. Once a cheater, always a cheater. Right?

He wouldn't do it again.

Once. A. Cheater. Always. A. Cheater.

Speaking of - he'd just sent me a text.

(You have changed harry <3 to Harry Lewis.)

From: Harry Lewis

Eddie, they're on their way. Really hope you're okay. Would love to talk if you're up for it

I debated texting back, in the end just liking the message and tucking my phone away. I'd had far too much drama for one day, and agreeing to talk to him about everything seemed like too big a commitment for just now. That was a decision I'd make in the near future.

My attention swiftly turns to the sound of an engine coming from behind me. I turn round, seeing a car driving towards me with the headlights on. It's not dark yet, but we are surrounded by lots of trees so the sunlight is kind of sparse.

I cover my eyes from the shining light, assuming that it'll be Freya and Ethan in the car, and thankfully I'm right. Freya runs out first, sprinting over to me and engulfing me in a hug.

"Don't scare me like that again!" She chastises, stroking my hair, an embrace that reminds me of -

"Eddie!" Another voice calls, and I now see Ethan and Lux walking towards us, both of their faces filled with relief.