| fourteen |

Lexi walked into the lab that Dr

Lexi walked into the lab that Dr. Banner and her father were residing in as they tried to locate where the Tesseract could be. The two seemed to be deep in discussion, but Lexi could sense an underlying tension and she had no doubt that the two had argued at least five times since they began working together. Her father... well, he had that affect on people, no matter who they were.

"Hey" she smiled cheerfully as she entered the lab, her eyes darted around as she took in the various computers and science-related things that littered the room.

"Ahh, just the sneaky little spy I was looking for" Tony mused out with slight annoyance as Lexi's eyebrows furrowed slightly upon noticing the tone her father's voice had taken.

"Okay... why do I feel like this is going to end badly for me?" she asked hesitantly as Tony's face read a slight bit of guilt. She then noticed that both he, and Dr. Banner, didn't seem to be doing all that much work and were instead focused on one of the screens in front of them. Lexi slowly made her way over as she looked at the screen, her eyes widened in shook when she noticed her father was hacking into SHIELD's files.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" she hissed out as she glared angrily at her father who only held a bored look on his face as he shrugged his shoulders. Just then, Fury strode into the lab with a look of importance and urgency on his face.

"What are you doing, Mr. Stark?" he demanded as he strolled up to the three that surrounded the screen.

"Uh, kinda been wondering the same thing about you" Tony retorted sassily.

"You're supposed to be locating the Tesseract" Fury said sternly as he glared at the man with his visible eye.

"We are" Bruce spoke up from the other side of the desk, "the model's locked and we're sweeping for the signature now." Tony smirked as the doctor explained what they were doing. "When we get a hit, we'll have the location within half a mile" the doctor continued as he pointed to the screen that sat behind Fury.

"Yeah, then you get your cube back. No muss, no fuss" Tony said before the screen before him lit up, signalling that he was successful in hacking SHIELD. "What is 'Phase 2'?"

Lexi's eyebrows furrowed in confusion, in all her time at SHIELD, which in all honesty, hadn't been very long, she had never heard anyone mention 'Phase 2'. The sound of a metal object hitting a desk in the centre of the room broke her thought as she looked up to see Steve place an odd looking weapon on the table.

"Phase 2 is SHIELD uses the cube to make weapons" he began, which made Lexi snap her head to Fury in disbelief. How could SHIELD make weapons with something they couldn't even control in the first place? And... why the hell wasn't she told about it? "Sorry, computer was moving a little too slow for me" Steve finished.

"Rogers, we gathered everything related to the Tesseract. This does not mean that we're making-" Fury began to explain before Tony abruptly cut him off.