| twenty five |

The plan was simple

The plan was simple... ish. Natasha was given some tech by Fury that would disguise her as a member of the council, giving her the chance to distract Pierce and also expose HYDRA to the world. Meanwhile, it was up to Steve and Sam to swap the blades for their own, while Maria and Lexi kept everything at bay within SHIELD. 

Lexi, Maria, Steve and Sam had made their way to the underground entrance of SHIELD, and were now climbing the flights of stairs that led to one of the control rooms in the building. At first, Lexi's leg was painless as she ascended the stairs, but the more she climbed, the worse the pain got. But, being the stubborn Stark she was, she was not going to let Maria know. Because if Maria told Natasha, then Nat would be right. And she hated when Natasha was right.

Grunting a little, she finally reached the door they need to be at, seeing the rest of them waiting for her impatiently. "Injured," she sung out, gesturing to her leg, "sorry if I'm a little slow climbing ten flights of stairs."

"We get it," Maria cut her off before the brunette could go on a ramble about her leg, "can you intercept the dish."

"Yeah, yeah, I got it," Lexi waved her off, her tablet already in hand as she got to work in disabling the communications dish. "There, all done. Now, we wait."

It wasn't long then, before the four heard the beep from the other side of the door, signalling that it was about to be opened. Sam and Maria readied their guns as Steve took centre stage while Lexi stood slightly at the back, seeing as though, if any combat were to happen, she wouldn't be much use. The guard that had opened the door stumbled back slightly in surprise, allowing the four an easy entry.

"Excuse us," Steve spoke, sending the guard a slightly sarcastic smile as he walked past. The guard held his hands up in surrender, stepping fully back to allow the four in. Steve led the way, Maria following behind with her gun raised while Sam helped Lexi keep up as she hobbled behind at the back. They finally reached the communications room, which is were Steve would make his little announcement to the members of SHIELD.

"Attention all SHIELD agents, this is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me over the last few days. Some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth... SHIELD is not what we thought it was. It's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The STRIKE and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want. Absolute control. They shot Nick Fury. And it won't end there. If you launch those helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way. Unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot. But the price of freedom is high. It always has been. And it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not."

"Did you write that down first, or was it just off of the top of your head?" Sam asked with an amused smile once Steve had finished his speech.

"He obviously got it off of Google, Sam," Lexi quipped as she eyed the super soldier with amusement.