| eighteen |

Lexi groaned at the sound of her SHIELD ringtone going off, waking her from her slumber as she swung her arm over to reach for her phone that lay on her bedside cabinet

Lexi groaned at the sound of her SHIELD ringtone going off, waking her from her slumber as she swung her arm over to reach for her phone that lay on her bedside cabinet. She lifted the phone up to her face, squinting her eyes, due to the bright light that illuminated the screen, as she read the message.

6:28AM

MISSION ALERT.

EXTRACTION IMMINENT.

Be there in two minutes. Outside your apartment. Don't be late! ;)

Lexi couldn't help but smile at the short - but sweet - mission message she received from the redhead. This was one of their first missions together - if you don't count the alien invasion in New York - since Natasha preferred to do a lot of her missions by herself, or with Clint. Since New York, over the past two or so years, Lexi had been doing some of her missions alongside Steve or Clint, or some on her own, but this would be her first time working with Nat, and it was safe to say she was excited.

The brunette quickly jumped out of bed, throwing on some some leggings and a sweatshirt, knowing that she would have time to get suited up after being briefed, and not wanting to keep the redhead waiting. She hurriedly rush around her apartment, gathering anything she may need and stuffing it in her go-bag before running out the door and down the stairs to the front of the building, sliding down the last railing as she reached the bottom.

She quickly skipped out of the building, being greeted by an annoyed looking Natasha in her sleek black Corvette, the windows rolled down, giving the brunette a good look at the woman inside.

"You're late," Natasha deadpanned as she quirked an eyebrow at the approaching woman.

"Hey, I did pretty good considering I had two minutes notice," Lexi defended as she opened the door, throwing her bag into the backseat as she climbed into the front.

"You're gonna have to join your bag."

"What? Why? There's no one else here."

"We're picking Steve up in five minutes, you really think a super soldier will fit into the back of this car?"

"At least let me ride in the front until then, it's the least you could do after you woke me up at 6am," Lexi spoke with pleading eyes and a jutted out lip as she looked at the redhead. Natasha rolled her eyes at the brunette's childish antics, fighting the urge to smile at her.

"Fine, but then you gotta get in the back." Lexi smiled at the woman's response, making herself comfortable as Natasha started the car and began to drive to where Steve was.

"So, what's the mission anyway? Is it an Avengers thing?"

"No, it's just SHIELD. I don't know the details, I was just sent to collect you both."

"So... first mission together. You excited?"

"It's not our first mission together."

"New York doesn't count."