Chapter Thirty Six

Two weeks has passed before they let James out of the hospital. Because of the brain swelling and amnesia, the doctor felt it was for the best, if he stays in the hospital for observation even after most of other injuries had healed.

It was killing him to just lay in the hospital bed all day, and do nothing, so he had Chris send him everything to do with work, so he could distract himself with something and not die from boredom during that time.

But burying himself into work didn't' help him get his memory back. No matter how much he was trying to remember anything his friends told him about happening, he couldn't remember anything about it. Only during the night, when he was lying wide awake in his bed, because he couldn't sleep, he remembered there was a small boy riding a horse near a ranch. And some other time he remembered there was the same boy eating a cherry pie with ice cream.

But James couldn't figure out why he was remembering these things. He asked his friends if he mentioned meeting a child, but neither knew anything about it.

'Maybe I just really want to have a son.' James tried to be reasonable about his memories. 'Maybe I'm only remembering some boy I saw in Reedville because I want one of my own.'

He convinced himself this was the only reason why he could only remember this child. For a moment he was playing with the idea of driving to Reedville once he's released from the hospital, but in the end, he convinced himself it was just his mind playing tricks on him, and tried to remember something else.

During the two weeks in the hospital he got to know all the nurses and doctors really well, specially nurse Eveline.

She came to his room after her shift at the hospital and they spent quality time together. James sneakily found out from doctor LaSalle if she had a boyfriend or if there was any reason for him not to ask her out.

When doctor LaSalle told him she's 'single and ready to mingle' after she broke up with her boyfriend a year ago. But before James was able to get this information he had to promise doctor LaSalle to give an interview to his daughter for the school newspaper.

It didn't took much convincing, especially after doctor LaSalle agreed to keep how they met under wraps. James didn't want to be all over the news because he had a car accident. Luckily Neil and his contacts made a cover story where he was actually visiting Ian in the hospital and not himself being treated in one. James was never more happy about the doctor-patient confidentiality. He even managed to convince his now ex-wife to sign the divorce papers, giving her more money than he planned at first, just so he could speed the process up and make her shut up about the accident. As far as he was concerned now, Gina might as well be dead to right now. He was ready for a new start in life.

Before James knew it, he asked Eveline out on a date - to which she reluctantly agreed, and the next day he was being interviewed by a sixteen year old.

"So, mister Cornell, what can you tell me about your next business project."

"I heard a rumor you hired Gabriel Reed, a man who was called a computer genius on multiple occasions. What are your plans now, that he works for your company?"

These and similar questions were pouring from doctor LaSalle's daughter, completely surprising James. When doctor LaSalle mentioned his daughter wanted to interview him, he was afraid, she'll only be asking him about his playboy past, and his divorce and private life in general. It was his impression this is all young girls wanted to know these days. And boy, could he be more wrong.

Doctor LaSalle's daughter knew everything there was to know about his company and his business. At least everything you could get from the internet and the few interviews he gave since he started the company. All and all, he was impressed and positively surprised at her intelligent and insightful questions. She behaved more professionally than most of female reporters he had the displeasure of working with. She wasn't taken by his looks, but that could be the because he was in a hospital gown, his entire boy covered with not entirely healed bruises.