Chapter Six

JAMES HAD NO IDEA what took over him. 

"Do you believe in love at first sight?"

What was he thinking? He was cursing himself for saying what he thought. He was never this relaxed with people he just met, but Vivian was different. She made him want to trust into humanity again. She made him lower his guard without even trying.

Vivian looked at him curiously, like she didn't know what to say for a while. James thought he saw her eyes flicker, like she felt something for him too. But it was over before he could make what it meant, if it even mean anything. Or maybe he was just imagining things. According to his former girlfriend, it wouldn't be the first time.

"I believe at lust at first sight." She told him with a wink.

James didn't know what to make out of her answer. It was clear to him, she made him feel something he never thought he'll be feeling again in his life. Just the thought he got another chance at love made him feel giddy. He became unsure of what to say back to Vivian.

"I do too. As a matter of fact, I felt something for you the second I saw you. Weather it was love or lust is still debatable."

Vivian's mouth made a funny sound that could be a suppressed giggle. But James was on the role. She wanted to know why he decided to talk to her, here was his answer.

"The fact remains, I', intrigued by you Vivian. You made me laugh, your luscious body makes me want you and your soft voice has enchanted me like you're a siren trying to seduce the sailors into their death. Everything bit of information about you makes me want to know more."

His answer left Vivian staring in disbelief at James. Her eyes were wide open she opened her mouth slightly, which made James's thoughts travel to pleasant picture of them kissing.

"Right now, your parted lips make me want to kiss you. You are pure temptation and I am not able and don't want to resist you."

During his explaining, he pulled Vivian's hands into his and stared tracing small circles on the sensitive skin on the inside of her wrist. That made Vivian to take deep breath to suppress the shiver James's movements caused.

James felt the shiver his movements caused which pleased him to no end. He wasn't sure whether it was because he was falling for a virtually total stranger, or it was because he just got some prove that she was interested in him. If not for the lifetime, at least for this one night. Because maybe that will be all they will have.

"James." Vivian's breathing was heavy and she sounded like she just ran a marathon. The arousal in her voice was evident.

The knowledge that he did this to this amazing woman made James swell with pride.

"James. I don't want to resist this as well."

Her words made him happier than a child on the Christmas morning while opening his first gift. He leaned towards Vivian's face until he was just few inches away from her beautiful face. He could feel her breath on his lips and it made wonders for his libido.

"So we don't."

With these words his lips came crushing down on hers and they locked themselves in a passionate kiss.

James saw Vivian close her eyes in pleasure as his tongue traced the lower lip encouraging her to open her mouth. She offered no resistance when he invaded her mouth, researching her.

When Vivian opened her eyes, they locked their gaze without breaking the kiss.

They would stay this way forever, if the waiter hadn't returned with a plate of strawberry cheesecake. His discreet coughing dampened the mood and they slowly broke the kiss.

Their gazes were still locked and James was still holding her hands, as they thanked the waiter for the cake.

Slowly James let go of Vivian's hands and took a spoonful of the strawberry cheesecake, leading it towards her mouth.

Without a second thought James fed him and Vivian the cake, pretending they were on the date and not just met tonight. During this time no one said a word, they were quietly enjoying the cake and thought about the kiss.

After they finished the cake James couldn't help himself and used his second question of their three questions game they were playing before the kiss.

"Vivian, did you like the kiss?"

His voice sounded concerned, like he was worried this kiss meant more to him than it did to her. He knew she felt something, her soft moan and willingness to participate in the kiss told him she didn't hate it. But did she felt the same magic he did, when their lips touched for the first time? This was the question that was bothering him every since they broke the kiss.

Instead of answering him, she leaned over the table and this time, it was her who started the kiss. This one was slow and full of seduction, it was like Vivian was telling James there was much more to come, from where this kiss was coming from.

The kiss left them both panting for their breath, and James was ready to just scoop up Vivian in his hands and take her to one of the suits that were so conveniently waiting for them above their heads. 

"How's that for an answer?"

It took all his strength to stay where he was and fight his primal urges to take her right here in the crowded restaurant in one of the fanciest hotels in Los Angeles.

"I'll take that as a yes." He chuckled. "It's your turn to ask me a question. And be careful, you only have two left."

"Don't worry, I know exactly what my next question is." Vivian smiled at him, and James's heart skipped a beat.

This attraction he felt toward her was something new to him. Nothing, not even the one time he thought he was in love, could compare to this.

"I know this question might sound a bit odd to you, but I would appreciate if you could answer it as honestly as you possibly could." James slowly nodded. "Have you ever been in love?"

He let go of her hands and put his back on his side of the table.

"I thought I was."

His voice was quiet and distant. With just one question she managed to poke his only sour point. The only thing he was ever evasive and protective about. His past with Her.

Vivian took his hand into hers and squeezed it. The silent sign she understood the question was too much for him to handle at the moment gave James the needed energy to snap out of the blues he feel in so fast. He returned the squeeze and tugged her hand to him and kissed it.

"Thank you."

Silence took over the table once again. Only this time there was no sexual tension between them. Instead Vivian gently brushed her knuckles over his five o'clock shadow, tracing the outline of his jaw.

"Thank you for not pushing." His voice broke. "For understanding."

Vivian shook her head. "It okay, I know what's like to get hurt. I know people need space. I know I needed it."

"People have secrets they want to take to the grave. This is part of the one I wish to take to mine."

"I understand. I have secrets I want to take to the grave as well."

They locked their gazes and stared at each other for a while. It seemed like the world stopped when they realized how rare was person they just find. They silently acknowledged the fact what they have is something special and even though this might be their only night together, the memory of this night would be forever imprinted in their memory.

Without saying a word they agreed to stop their game and leave the restaurant.