Chapter Thirty - part two

"You guys I'm hanging up, while the two of you sort things out. Just don't do the nasty in the office... Unless you want to document it?"

A moment of silence followed while Neil and Chris were processing what James just said. At the exact moment they realized James could feel the moment it happened, but before they could properly react. This is when James hung up and turned it off, so they couldn't reach him.

In a day his life had changed again. Just like he said to Neil and Chris, he needed some time to think. He might or might not be a father the entire time he was missing this one thing in his, otherwise great life. Well, if he had a kid with Gina, he might even suck up the fact she is a crazy, money-grabbing egoistical bitch and be a better husband. God knows how much the things would be different if he knew.

'But do I know? I was really drunk last night, I'm still hazy on the details, what if the whole thing was just one big alcoholic hallucination.'

This was exactly why he couldn't tell Neil to dig up everything on Lana. There was too much riding on the truth, the whole thing was just too personal. The only way he was able to find out the truth, without telling anyone, was if he searches for it by himself.

James speed through the state of Texas without any particular destination in his mind. The only goal in his head was to find out the truth and figure out what to do with all the facts once he has them.

His driving was careless, too fast, dangerous for him and fellow drivers. But as he increased the speed, James felt better. His adrenalin was pumping and for a moment he forgot about his problems. He concentrated on the road, pressing even heavier on the gas pedal.

Nature around him and cars he passed were becoming a blur, because of the high speed. It got though for James to concentrate, his head was spinning from all the adrenaline, but in his head his vision was clearer than it ever was.

He wasn't thinking, but at the speed he was going, one wrong move a muscle and he's be flying over the protective fence at the side of the highway, landing dead in a ditch on the other side.

Car reached its highest speed, and the sound of the overworked motor suddenly wasn't like baby's lullaby, it sounded more like lion's roar - something ever driver should fear.

Only because James's senses were on high alert, he heard the changed sound of the motor and instantly pressed the break and started honking and blinking, so other drivers could see something was off.

Car started slowing down, but even before it reached hundred miles per hour, the engine started coughing, then suddenly a loud 'bum' came from the car, and James lost the control of the car.

He stepped on the break with all his weight, knowing that if he hit someone with the speed he was going, they were both going to be dead on impact.

Car was dangerously moving towards the protective fence at the side of the highway, and James struggled to gain control of the car once again. Luckily the car was rapidly losing speed, and this made it easier for James to control the car at least that much, he was driving crazily on the side of the road, so he wasn't endangering people around him.

Just when he thought he got out of the worst situation in his life, he smelled something burning. Because the highway just passed a farm, for a moment James thought it was just them burning something they didn't need, or something.

By then, he already gained control of the car and was driving on, with intention to stop at the nearest rest station or simply drive off the highway to some city - whichever came first. He had to take a look at the motor and figure out what was wrong, before the car decides to betray him 'till the end and blow him to pieces.

It was like karma was making fun of James. He was driving too fast, endangering his life and lives of other people, just so he could forget about his day for a moment. Just so he could get the adrenaline rush, that made him feel better for a moment. Now he had car troubles that only seemed to be getting worse as the time passed by.

Smoke suddenly appeared from the engine, not only making it hard for James to see where he was driving, but also alarming him, he can't wait for a rest stop, he needs to get out of the car right now. Or even better five minutes ago.

Before he could stop, he felt car hitting something.

Time stopped, everything happened in slow motion, even though it happened really fast. James's car hit the fence with a loud thud, smoke becoming even thicker.

The impact of the crash made airbags launch and James felt the pressure from both sides, he felt like a puppet being smacked around by an aggressive child. He didn't really feel the pain, because of the adrenaline, but he hit his head really badly.

Last thoughts before he lost conscious were: 'I have a son, I will never get to meet. If I make it out of here, I swear I will come back to Reedville and fight for a chance in that boys life, even in case I'm not really his father.'

 ***