Chapter Fifteen

THE FIRST THOUGHT THAT POPPED into James's mind when he saw a women looking exactly like Vivian, the woman he slept with six years ago, was: 'I'm imagining it again. There's no way she's here, in the middle of nowhere.'

But the woman looked out the bakery's window and their eyes met.

Time didn't really stop, but it sure felt like it to James. They stared at each other, neither sure if the other was real. James would just keep on standing there and watching the woman, for whom he was now ninety percent sure was Vivian, if a pickup wouldn't honk at some teenagers playing chicken at the end of the sidewalk.

The magic of their stare was broken and James wanted nothing more than to make sure he wasn't crazy. He needed to know he wasn't imagining the woman who changed his life, who made him change his life. There was so much bad going on in his life right now, he needed something good to hold on to. Even if it's just for a moment.

While crossing the road his mind went wild.

'What if it's not really Vivian? What if she is? What am I supposed to say to her? I mean, it was more than clear she wanted nothing more than one night with me. But there was something magical about that night. There was this connection between them. There just have to be a way for them to get together again. But what if she won't like me now? I got some grey hair and I'm not the playboy I used to be. As a matter of face I have a wife at home.

His whole body tensed when he realized that even if he wanted to reenact the night from six years ago, he was a married man now. It didn't really matter his wife was about to serve him divorce papers, there was no way he will break the vow he made to himself when he left Los Angeles and moved to New York City. Besides there was no need to give his soon-to-be-ex-wife any money.

She lead him to believe they were in love, crazy about each other and that he was about to become a father. Only because of Ian he made her sign a prenuptial agreement, stating she gets nothing if she cheats on him or wants to divorce him.

It was pure luck Ian was with him when James found out he was about to become a father. Without his words, James would blindly jumped into a marriage based on deceit. Because, not only was her love for him fake, she was never really pregnant. Ever since he found out she cheated him of the one thing he wanted the most on Earth, their marriage was only on paper. There was nothing between them, than a prenuptial agreement and James's resistance of divorce.

In contradiction to his years as a Casanova, he was a romantic at heart. He believed in one true love, and that marriage is for life. So instead of moving on with his life and getting a divorce, he just quietly pretended he was happy with his life and waited for a moment when his wife would snag another pray.

A month ago she did just that. She found herself a rich oil tycoon from Louisiana, who knew her for exactly who she was and didn't mind a bit. She was to become his trophy wife.

And he didn't mind one bit some almost-seventy-years-old guy was about to snag his wife away from him. In fact, if he could he would even walk her down the aisle, if that meant he'd never got to see her again.

Deep in his thoughts, James crossed the road and reached the bakery where Vivian and another woman were sitting in.

It was obvious, the place wasn't open for business in fact the flayers at the door were indicating the grand opening of 'Lana's Bakery' was about to happen mid-day tomorrow.

Lana's bakery? If this is Vivian's bakery Lana must be someone very special to her. But probably, it's just that woman, who was sitting next to her before. She must be Lana, the owner of the bakery.

James knocked on the door, with what he thought was a light blow, but in reality it was hard enough, that if it would be meant for a person, that person would be sporting a serious black eye the next day. Knocking on thing when he was frustrated was just one of the ways James usually dealt with anger and frustration. Which is probably why he hadn't really realized how strong his blows were.

Through the glass doors, he could see the woman inside the bakery talking about something, and just when he was about to knock on the doors again, just to remind them he was waiting for Vivian to either come outside or to let him in, Vivian started walking towards the door.

The other woman was shaking her head and murmuring something to herself, but James was too far away to hear what. Not that he actually cared. The only thing he saw was his beautiful Vivian walking towards him.

"Hi James."

James let out a sigh of relive, he didn't even know, he was holding in.

"Vivian." He reached out and touched her cheek. "It's really you."

***