Chapter 10

Since Doyoung always was a morning person, it wasn’t hard for him to wake up at 5:30 in the morning due to the camping project at school. He wasn’t sleepy, rather he was cheerful because he really looked forward to spending time with his friends at the campsite, away from his father’s abode. On the other hand, Yedam was pretty sleepy. He was looking forward to camping as well, but waking up at such an early hour strained him off his usual cheerful aura.

However, they both had breakfast and headed towards their car. They were supposed to reach school within 7 A.M and they did. Doyoung saw a sleepy Jeongwoo and rushed towards him whereas Yedam joined his own classmates. They rode on separate buses to reach the campsite. As expected, Jeongwoo fell asleep as soon as the bus started moving. Doyoung put the earbuds in his ear and got lost in the melody of his favourite songs.

They reached the campsite hours later. Jeongwoo didn’t wake up even for once. Doyoung was used to it, so he didn’t bother. He took his backpack and woke Jeongwoo up.

Doyoung liked the campsite. It was neither too wild nor too modernized. It felt safe, but at the same time, it felt like it needed work. Everyone soon got down the buses and unloaded the baggage.

The students were gathered year wise. Their teachers instructed them what and what not to do. They were divided into small units with representatives from senior classes as leaders and were given instructions to do specific works- like collecting firewood, drinking water, cleaning the campsite, setting up tents etc. Since the project was to strengthen bonding among different grades’ students, the units were comprised of students from each grade. Doyoung wanted to have Jeongwoo in his unit, but he wasn’t as lucky. Instead, he was teamed up with students he barely knew.

Doyoung’s unit first headed out in search of firewood. Their leader guided them to a nearby forest area and they all were looking for twigs, small logs and other branched woods. Doyoung soon got engrossed in his work and started to enjoy.

“Hi,” Someone called from beside him. Doyoung barely talked to his team members, so, hearing someone talk suddenly startled him. However, he greeted the student back.

“Hello,” Doyoung waved at him. He recognized the person as their team leader. He was short, looked cute, but was responsible and wise in nature.

“I saw you working silently, so, I thought I should accompany you.” The leader smiled at him, “I'm Takata Mashiho, nice to meet you.” He extended his hand at Doyoung.

“Kim Doyoung, nice to meet you too!” Doyoung smiled and took his hand.

Mashiho talked to him a bit more. Doyoung liked the way Mashiho put everything to words. He seemed like a fun yet reliable senior. However, Mashiho had to check everyone with their works, so, he couldn’t stay with Doyoung longer. So, Doyoung was left alone again.

Their unit collected a good amount of firewood and decided to head back. But, since Mashiho was a fun guy with a map, he decided to take a different route back. Most of the students rejoiced because who doesn’t like adventure? The fire woods they collected were tied behind their back and carried as a backpack which was really convenient. Their walk back thus was fun. They met with a running spring of water on their way back and saw another unit collecting drinking water from there.

And Doyoung recognized Yedam as one of the unit members.

The two unit exchanged some small talks. Surprisingly, Doyoung saw Yedam being friendly with Mashiho.

“Hi, Doyoung,” Yedam smiled and waved at him upon noticing him. Doyoung awkwardly smiled and waved back.

“You two know each other?” Mashiho asked.