Chapter 12

Doyoung always believed that Jihoon’s words were bound to be correct because the said hyung of him was extremely witty. He just got the confirmation one more time as his father made both him and Yedam consulting an important business deal with the CEO of their rival company. He remembered how Jihoon first doubted about his father wanting to make Yedam the next CEO of their company, leading him to give such works to Yedam.

However, it was indeed questionable why both him and Yedam had to do the work together. If his father was about to choose who's better, he could’ve just assigned them with separate responsibilities. But why together? Doyoung didn’t understand. Yet, he had nothing to do about it.

So, he was just sitting in his car, beside Yedam who was carefully checking the documents regarding the deal.

“But it’s a bit... problematic.” Yedam murmured on his own. But the car ride was kind of quiet, so Doyoung heard it.

“What’s wrong?” he asked.

“The deal, it is quite risky.” Yedam said. Doyoung scooted closer to Yedam to check the documents along with him.

“Here,” Yedam pointed, “you see, the initial loss would be too much. Anyone with common sense would decline this offer.”

Doyoung furrowed his brow together, “Then why are we even trying?”

Yedam shrugged and looked through the documents for a bit longer.

“Umm, maybe... there is a catch...” he spoke, “The loss can be overcome if the demand of the product increases in future, which is likely to be, based on the hypothesis about future market and human behaviour.” Yedam continued. Doyoung nodded.

“Even so, it’s still risky. We can only predict the future, Doyoung, what if the demand doesn’t increase as predicted? Then the loss would be huge. I don’t see why anyone sane would accept the proposal of ours.” Yedam looked at Doyoung. Doyoung looked deeply engrossed in thoughts.

“Why is dad making us do this then?” he wondered.

“I bet he has a backup.” Yedam said, “Do you know anyone from the company we’re about to go to?”

Doyoung nodded, “Yeah! The CEO himself is a close friend of dad. In fact, I call him uncle.”

Yedam snapped his fingers in affirmation. “That’s it then! The deal itself is not important, Doyoung. Mr. Kim wants to test us.”

Doyoung widened his eyes. Yedam continued, “Maybe he wants to see how we handle this dead-end kinda situation.”

“So, what do we do now?” Doyoung asked.

“We try to convince the CEO that this is a good deal, even though it’s not.” Yedam replied.

-

Doyoung walked with Yedam as they entered the desired company building. Since they made an early appointment, they were escorted to the CEO's room by an employee whom Doyoung assumed was the PA of the CEO. She guided them towards the big opaque glass door and after knocking and informing the CEO about the arrival of Yedam and Doyoung, he held the door open and gestured them to go in.

Doyoung, instead of seeing the familiar face of his father’s friend, saw someone else in the CEO's chair. And he looked just as young as himself. Another young male was seated next to the desk near the window.

“Umm... where’s the CEO?” He asked. The tall guy on the chair raised a brow at him.

“Whoever’s sitting in this chair must be the CEO, right?” he sassily replied, pointing at the chair he was sitting on.