Chapter 24

To be honest, Doyoung didn’t find it that hard to wait for days to let Yedam bring out the topic of his discomfort in front of the younger. Well, one of the main factors behind it might be the upcoming music festival of their school which was scheduled in three days from the twilight kiss of the two step brothers.

Now the real problem was the awkwardness between them. Considering they both would have to perform together for the opening and the closing ceremony, they had to stick together almost 24/7 as the festival was knocking on their door. Doyoung tried to act as if nothing happened, but Yedam, who usually stayed chill, did some stupid things here and there, reminding Doyoung of his uneasy heart and impatient countdown of days.

Preparing for the ending was relatively easy, because Mashiho accompanied them in the dance along with his sharp monitoring. The air around them felt lighter with the presence of the Japanese senior. Not to mention, all three of them aced the dancing, which made it easier for them to let their own confusing thoughts aside, focusing only on perfecting the dance moves. But for the opening, well, there were only Yedam and Doyoung. So, they had to help each other. When they practiced in school, ie, in the club room, it was less tense because few other students were always there, encouraging them or enjoying their practice sessions in general. But both of them were crazy about perfection, so they continued their practice session even at home.

And it was really awkward.

Because Yedam would miss the beat.

Because Doyoung would press a wrong key.

Because they would mess up again and again due to the uncertainty surrounding them.

“Hyung? What are we gonna do?” Doyoung asked Yedam. It was the last night before D-Day and no matter how many times they tried, they messed up. It made Doyoung scared; scared of ruining the opening performance which the whole school entrusted them with.

Yedam looked at Doyoung. He was using a pen as the microphone, standing beside the piano, trying to master the facial expressions and the perfect tone, but in vain.

“Let’s start again.” Yedam spoke. Did he not feel tired at all? Because to Doyoung, it felt like they had been doing it for 100 times already.

“What’s the point, hyung? We're not getting it right!” Doyoung sounded so frustrated that it made Yedam forget about his own tensed heart.

“But we can’t just stop now; we have to do it without any mistake, at least for once!” Yedam sounded desperate as well.

“But we're making mistakes every fucking time!” Doyoung’s tone rose up.

Yedam didn’t find any other way to convince the younger. Words were not the best use at that moment. So, Yedam walked towards Doyoung and put his hand on the younger’s shoulder. Maybe it was the first time he touched the younger after the incident from 2 days ago.

He was reminded of the kiss as he felt the warm contact of the younger's shoulder through the thin clothes he was wearing. Yedam’s head got clouded with the train of thoughts he was having once again, but he shook them off. It wasn’t the time to think about the kiss, right?

“What are you thinking about?” Yedam asked the obvious question. Of course, he knew the answer, but he wanted to see if Doyoung would want to talk about that or not.

“I-" Doyoung stuttered, “I'm worried about tomorrow.” He hid the truth. It was true that he was worried. But the more he worried, the clearer the kiss appeared in front of his eyes. In a way, messing up the practice was a result of the awkwardness between them after the kiss.