Chapter 31

When the chaos downstairs died down, waiting for almost half an hour with hitched breath, the three boys finally gained enough courage to go and look into the situation. The butler was the most eager one; maybe because he felt responsible for calling Mr. Kim in with his text.

“I think Mrs. Kim left.” Jaehyuk assumed, cautiously looking at the scared looking Doyoung and the concerned looking Yedam.

“Should we go check things out?” Yedam sincerely asked.

“I'll go first,” Jaehyuk offered, “You guys can come afterwards.” Yedam nodded at that and watched Jaehyuk leave his room.

“Are you still scared?” Yedam looked at Doyoung, who nervously nodded. The elder once again engulfed the younger in a hug, “It’s okay. I'm here.” Doyoung just took in the smell of Yedam and felt at ease with the help of that homely and welcoming smell.

Even after waiting for ten whole minutes, no sign of Jaehyuk or any information from him reached the two boys, which made Yedam a bit worried, “I think we should go downstairs as well.” He suggested. Doyoung agreed and so, both of them left the room.

As they guessed already, no sign of Mrs. Kim was there. Neither was any sign of the butler. Instead, the two boys were met with their father, sitting on a lone couch, looking down as if in so much worries and regrets.

“Dad?” Doyoung cautiously asked once he went near his father. Mr. Kim looked up and weakly smiled at him.

“Where’s mom?” Doyoung asked again.

“She left. I have sent Jaehyuk to see if she’s okay.” He sadly said. Doyoung nodded. Yedam was right behind him. Mr. Kim gestured both of them to sit down. They did so and everyone stayed silent for a while.

“If you want, you can go look after your mother, Doyoung.” Mr. Kim spoke, looking at his youngest son, “I know I kept you in this house against your will... I did it for myself, honestly. But you have grown up now, and it’s your choice to-"

“Dad,” Doyoung said, without letting the old man ramble anymore, “I will stay here. With Yedam hyung.”

Mr. Kim silently observed Doyoung and Yedam.  Of course, he knew about them. The way the two acted around each other, all the workers knew about them, and even though Jaehyuk tried to seal it in, the news eventually reached him.

Mr. Kim sighed, “Alright. But your mother wouldn’t be very happy about it.” He concluded. Doyoung worriedly nodded.

Silence prevailed for a while again. Yedam didn’t speak a word in the meantime. He was just patting Doyoung on the thighs from time to time, easing his heart.

“I failed myself, as a husband, as a father, as a lover.” Mr Kim looked at his sons, “I'm still a greedy man, and I hope you can be happy with your life.”

Neither Doyoung nor Yedam said a word. As if Doyoung’s father understood that talking about either him or his wife wasn’t fitting in place, because he didn’t know how to communicate with his sons about those, so, he changed the topic.

“I will not impose anything upon any of you.” He said again, “I always wanted Doyoung to be my next successor; but since he declined my offer several times, I chose Yedam.” He paused, “I brought him here, against his will, just so I could train him but looking at it now- I didn’t do the right thing. However, I still am going to ask- Yedam, do you wish to be my successor?”

Yedam made eye contact with Doyoung. He knew all along, taking over Mr. Kim’s place would be the best possible way to live his future. Money, fame, power- he would lack none. But now that he was asked directly, he didn’t know if he really wanted that or not.