Chapter 23

“Hyunsuk hyung?” Doyoung called with a beating heart. After his 16th birthday, it was the first time he himself called Hyunsuk.

“Doyoungie! It’s been a long time, ey?” Hyunsuk, the PA of Mr. Kim, who was really close to Doyoung once, spoke from the other side.

“Yeah... how are you?” Doyoung asked.

“Me? I'm okay. But you didn’t call me to know that, right? So, what’s wrong?” Hyunsuk sarcastically said.

A sigh that left Doyoung’s mouth was heard over phone, “I think I'm facing karma.” Doyoung laughed bitterly.

“Why?” Hyunsuk sounded concerned.

But Doyoung didn’t answer straight. Rather talked about a past that was buried nicely until then, at least to him, “How did you feel when a 16-year-old boy rejected you so harshly?”

Silence was heard from Hyunsuk for a while, until he composed himself and replied, “Why are you bringing out the past now, Doyoungie?”

“Hyung,” Doyoung said, “I just wanna know. Can you tell me?”

Hyunsuk seemed to give up. He couldn’t’ say no to Doyoung, not even after 2 whole years. “It hurt.” He simply spoke, “I mean, rejection never even occurred to me as a possibility! I thought... you loved me back, Dobby.”

A sudden chill went through Doyoung’s spine hearing the adorable nickname after all those years. The pretty name Hyunsuk gave him when he was 14, that was when Hyunsuk was appointed as his father’s PA. That was when Doyoung found another ‘hyung' beside Junkyu. And unbeknownst to him, that hyung fell for the naive version of him.

“But you didn’t,” Hyunsuk continued, as Doyoung didn’t say anything, “And you slapped that to my face on your 16th birthday,” Hyunsuk chuckled bitterly, “It pained me to be honest, a lot.”

“I'm sorry,” Doyoung sounded sincere, “I didn’t want to hurt you.”

Hyunsuk replied, “Hey, you don’t have to be sorry! It’s okay if you didn’t feel the same.... but I was sad that you stopped contacting me, even if I did call you from time to time after that.”

Doyoung bit his lips. He was really naive. He didn’t know what to do. And by that, he hurt someone who always wished well for him.

“Yah, Doyoung ah,” Hyunsuk spoke again, “You’re not stuck in the past, right? So tell me, what karma are you facing?”

Again, Doyoung sighed, “I fell for someone, hyung.”

“Aww”, Hyunsuk cheered, “Who's the lucky guy, hmm?”

Doyoung chuckled, “Why are you assuming I didn’t fall for a girl?”

Hyunsuk clicked his tongue, “One gay can tell about the other,” he laughed, “Now hurry up and spill the tea!”

“It’s my step brother.” Doyoung said. This time, Hyunsuk couldn’t respond.

“Hello?” Doyoung said as he heard silence, “Hyunsuk hyung?”

“Dobby,” Hyunsuk’s voice was low, “Do you remember what you said to me when you rejected me?”

Doyoung nodded, but well, Hyunsuk didn’t see that over phone, so he continued, “You said you treated me like a brother and you can’t possibly like your brother, but now?”

“I know hyung!” Doyoung sounded a bit frustrated, “Maybe that’s why karma hit me hard!”

Hyunsuk’s heart softened at Doyoung’s tone. He had an irreplaceable soft spot for the younger regardless of how much the younger hurt him once.