Chapter 29

Junkyu stood before the door many times before, he knew everything about what’s inside the door, yet, this time, he felt like he was going to face a whole new world once the door opened. 'He felt scared'- it would be an understatement. Junkyu was wishing for everything to be alright, yes, but deep inside, he too was a timid soul, afraid to face reality.

Junkyu rang the bell and waited. His heart was racing to be honest. He prepared himself for this, but now that he was standing before the door to his boyfriend's house after that one kiss in front of that very door; invited for dinner by none other than the one who was making everything difficult for them, in other words, Jihoon’s mother, he was feeling nervous to no bounds.

After a while, Jihoon’s face peeped through the door as the elder opened it for Junkyu.

Junkyu gave Jihoon the same knowing scared look. But Jihoon quickly pulled him by the hand.

“It’s okay. It’s fine, everything is gonna be okay.” Jihoon assured Junkyu as he let the boy in, closed the door and faced him.

“Where Mrs. Park?” Junkyu asked, his voice was trembling.

“She’s in her room.” Jihoon replied.

“Shouldn’t I go greet her?” Junkyu asked, worried. It would be his first time meeting Jihoon’s mother after she had come to know that the very best friend of her son was actually the boyfriend of her son.

“Let’s not bother her for now. She’d call you in if she wishes.” Jihoon spoke, “Let’s go to my room for now.”

Junkyu obediently nodded and followed Jihoon to his room. Jihoon let Junkyu sit on his bed and then held both of Junkyu’s hands in his own.

“Hey, Kyu, don’t be afraid, okay?” Jihoon assured Junkyu again, “Mom wouldn’t have invited you if she hadn’t planned to accept you as my boyfriend, right?”

Junkyu looked at Jihoon with a worrisome look, “I know... but I'm scared. What if I mess up and, and it ruins our chance?”

“What’s there to mess up, Kyu?” Jihoon asked, “She knows you very well. Don’t forget that you are also precious to her!”

Junkyu’s eyes became even more worried and sad, “That’s why I am afraid, Jihoonie. She knows all my flaws, and she might point them out and tell me to break up with you. How can I stay away from you?”

Jihoon embraced the trembling Junkyu. He himself was pretty scared of what his mother would say to them. He knew his dad was trying to convince her, but what if she had another plan? What if she invited Junkyu for dinner not with a open heart but with an ill intention?

While the two boys were busy wondering about their near future, Jihoon was called by his mother.

“Kyu, I'll be back, okay?” Jihoon said and quickly went to listen to his mother. Junkyu noticed how obedient Jihoon was being just to impress his mother. After a while of him dying with tension, Jihoon arrived.

“She told me to set up the table for us. She’ll talk to you in the dining table while having the meal.” Jihoon informed Junkyu.

“Sure, let’s go. I'll help you.” Junkyu stood up from the bed. Jihoon didn’t protest. He knew staying alone would only make Junkyu even more worried.
The two boys waited patiently after setting the table. They sat side by side, Junkyu then Jihoon. They kept the corner chair empty for Mrs. Park. Junkyu would in a way be sitting by her side. Jihoon was holding Junkyu’s hand tight, giving him courage, which didn’t go unnoticed by his mom once she arrived at the table. She coughed to get their attention and Jihoon hastily let go of Junkyu’s hand.