9. Something's Different

I can't stop thinking about it. That damn kiss.

As much as I want to forget, I can't. I can't forget how nice it felt, how sensual it felt. No wonder girls throw themselves at him. He's an amazing kisser. Probably amazing at other things as well. That's why I stopped our kiss before I could get carried away with the sensation. He's done this before. With multiple people. And I fell right into the trap. Afterward, I remembered how bad it made me feel.

Now, I have to see him again today. Classes are back. I slowly make my way toward class. I should just pretend. Pretend nothing happened, and it was just a night out with some new friends. That's all.

"Today, I'm going to assign a partner project. Your task is to create a model of something you've always wanted together. I don't care if it's paint, clay, or sketching, just be creative. This is the time to dig into your childhood memories. Maybe Christmas gifts you've always wanted but never got. It might be your favorite thing you've received." Mr. Broderick explained.

"I'll call out your assigned partners." He held out a clipboard with a list of names.

"Will and Leon." He said the first names. I tuned out the rest until I finally heard my name.

"Kimora and Ren." He said. What? Me and who?

"Uh... Can you repeat that?" I asked to make sure I wasn't hearing things.

"You're working with Ren, the one next to you." He pointed out, exacerbating the situation. I must have really bad luck. He just had to be my partner, ironically after locking lips with me a few nights before.

"Last is Skylar and Noali. You will have two weeks to work on these. Feel free to work outside of class as well. And if I don't see the team effort, I'm docking points off." He said before taking a seat at his desk.

Everyone clamored and compromised on where they would be sitting. I rolled my eyes before slowly looking over at Ren, who had his entire body already turned towards me. He was sitting there with a huge grin on his face.

No. You don't get to enjoy this.

"Hi, partner." He smiles as he puts his chin in his palm.

Don't smile at me. I might make the same mistake I made on Friday.

"Do you have any ideas on what we should do? With the project, I mean." I ignored his flirts.

"How was your weekend?" He asked, completely ignoring the topic.

"It was good. But... can you just, stay focused? Let's only talk about the project." I finally brought my eyes to his.

"Why?" He curled his eyebrows and pretended to pout.

"Because I want to get a good grade on this." I looked down and pulled out my sketchbook from my desk.

"Oh please, have you met me? As long as I'm your partner, we're gonna succeed." He bragged, which made me chuckle at his cockiness.

"So do you have any ideas on what we should do? I was thinking maybe we could do a birthday cake thing." I started.

"Why? Did you never have birthday parties growing up?" He watches me closely.

"No." I clear my throat.

"Can I ask why not?" I knew he would ask that next.

"I don't know... I just never felt like celebrating." I shrugged as if it wasn't important to me.

Ren suggested, "Maybe we can make an example of a connection."

"Connection?"

"As in an emotional bond with someone. That's something I've always wanted." I considered it after he opened up.