8. The Mistake

"I think he likes you, girl!" Naomi laughed as she drove out of the parking lot.

"W-who?" I cleared my throat nervously. Who could possibly be interested in me? Wait. Don't tell me... is it possible...

I scrunched up my jeans in my hand and waited for her to say something.

"Who else is there? Danny!" She squealed.

Oh.

"Oh, I wouldn't say that." I have my doubts. He only met me tonight, and we only spoke about... twice.

"No! I'm not kidding! Danny was tense tonight. And he's never tense." She tries to persuade me.

"Maybe it's because I'm new?" I came up with an excuse for him. When it comes to someone having a crush on me, I always have doubts.

"No way. During the movie, he couldn't stop talking about you, girl." She objected.

"What exactly did he say?" This piqued my interest.

"He was like, your friend is cuter than I thought Nai. Do you think I've got a chance?" She tried to imitate his raspy voice.

"No, he did not." I made fun of her.

"I swear! But you should give him a chance. He's a nice guy. If there's anyone I'd want you to be with, it's him." Her tone was genuine. So... I guess I could. If it turns out to be true, I mean... it's been a while since I've dated anyone, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to date again.

"I'll think about it." I cracked a smile.

When we arrived at Chili's, I looked out the window to see Danny and Ren waiting for us by their cars. Naomi and I exited the vehicle at the same time, adjusting our clothes.

"You guys ready?" Danny was the first to approach me.

"Yeah." I blushed at his sweet demeanor and looked at Naomi, who was already giggling at us.

I peered over Danny's shoulder to see Ren's fierce eyes fixed on us. Once more. This guy... has a serious problem with staring. To be honest, he reminds me of a serial killer. I slung my purse over my shoulder and began walking toward the restaurant's entrance.

Although it was quite crowded, we were able to find a booth near the back. It was a lovely setting, and the restaurant smelled delicious.

"Sit by Danny, Ki." Naomi gave me a wink. I scrunched up my nose and complied. Danny slid next to me as I entered the booth first. He didn't seem to mind, however. His entire face was flushed, and he had a silly smile on his face. I took a menu and pretended to read it to hide my face from the embarrassment.

"I need to use the restroom," Danny stated after everyone had settled in.

"I'm taking a smoke break! Wanna come with me, Ki?" Naomi stood up.

"No, thank you. I'm going to think about what I want." I politely declined her invitation.

"Okay, that's fine. Ren? Smoke?" She looked at Ren, who was sitting in front of me.

He also raised his hand to decline her offer.

"Lame." She shrugged and walked out the door.

"Ribs, burgers, loaded fries..." I read it aloud.

"Can you read it to yourself?" A voice said to me. One voice I barely heard all night. I slowly lowered the menu so that I could see Ren across from me.

He always has something to say, doesn't he?

"I can read however I'd like." I rolled my eyes, unable to contain my annoyance with him any longer.