36. Crossing The Line

Ren and I woke up early the next day to set up in the restaurant after we finished shopping for Danny's surprise party. I started decorating, of course with Ren's assistance. It wasn't difficult; I simply hung a happy birthday banner and lit a few candles. Cooking is the last thing we'd do. After we finish decorating, I pour myself a drink and lean quietly against the counter, watching Ren begin to prepare the food.

"Y'know, you're pretty spoiled." He said while taking the ingredients out, and laying them on the counter.

"How come?" I raised an eyebrow.

"I mean c'mon, you've got the whole package. I'm handsome, smart, and know how to cook." He boasted playfully and I rolled my eyes.

"Handsome?" I scoffed and his face dropped.

"Eh, I've seen better." I teased, causing his lips to form a frown.

"Well then, I guess someone else would appreciate this perfect face." He huffed and I laughed at him in return. He's so sensitive.

"What are you making for tonight?" I asked.

"It's a surprise. The restaurant favorite. Personally, mine too." He winked.

I watched him as he diligently tied the apron around himself. The way he handled everything, the way he prepared the food. He rolled up his sleeves so that he could wash his hands, exposing his well-built forearms to me.

Ren does ordinary things but manages to make them appear sexy. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to take advantage of this.

Once finished chopping the meat and vegetables, he placed them all in the pot of boiling water.

He washed his hands once more before turning to face me.

Ren gave me a soft smile and leaned in, his arms on both sides of the counter. He kissed me; it was a sweet kiss, but it made my heart skip a beat.

"I've been thinking about something. I've been thinking about it for a while now." When our lips parted, I sighed.

"What is it?" Ren inquired, his smile still on his face.

"Don't you feel a little guilty?" I begin to tell him about my recent thoughts.

"What would I feel guilty about?" He chuckled nervously.

"Well... the whole Danny situation. He likes me... a lot, hell he even told me he loves me-" I mumbled that last bit.

"He told you he loves you?" He interrupts, his face seems confused.

"Yeah, that time at the surprise thing he planned for me." I clarify.

"And, what'd you tell him?" His face seems serious now.

"I didn't say anything back."

"Oh." He leaned back and threw a grape in his mouth.

"But that's not my point. The point is... he's your best friend. You never feel guilty about being this way with me?" I look at him.

He rolled his head around and let out a big sigh before speaking again.

"Well, yes. I do feel guilty." He says.

"I've always felt guilty for feeling this way about you from the start. That's why it took so long to tell you."

"I see." I nod.

"But I don't feel guilty about being with you. I feel guilty because... if I had the chance to do it all over again, I'd do it. That's how much of a hold you have over me, Kimora." He leaned in closer causing me to be intoxicated with his scent.