3. Ren Kaneko

I dragged myself to my first class the next day. Mrs. Smith was bound to give me a handful. It doesn't help that she already despises me. I still don't have the book she requested. And it's all because of that jerk. I made an effort to arrive early so that being late was the last thing on my mind today. Before students rushed in, I sat in my seat for about five minutes.

I looked out the doorway to see if I could spot my teacher, but my gaze was drawn elsewhere. That's right, the thief of books. He looks the same as he did before. He's still a gorgeous person, which makes me despise him even more.

When we made eye contact, I shifted uncomfortably. I shifted my eyes away from him and then back, only to find him grinning from ear to ear. He gave a small wave as he walked to his seat in the back. Crazy. This guy is insane.

I clenched my teeth and focused my attention on the front of the classroom. Mrs. Smith had finally entered, and I was more nervous than I had ever been.

"Good day, class." She spoke in hushed tones.

"I hope you all got a good night's sleep last night." She wiped away old writing on the whiteboard.

"I'm hoping everyone got the books I requested." She cleared her throat. Of course, that is the first thing she brings up. I wished I could hide my face in my books. I also wanted to turn around and curse him in front of everyone.

"Shall we take them out?" She said, searching the room for anyone who was pulling out the book. Maybe if I pretended to have it, I wouldn't get in trouble. No. I'll just be digging myself a deeper hole. While everyone else was reading, I remained motionless in my seat. When I saw my teacher approaching me, I tapped nervously and swallowed.

Shit.

"Miss Jones." She leaned forward in front of me, both palms on my desk. Shit.

"Mam?" I sat up.

"Where's your book?" She smiled, but I could tell she wasn't pleased.

Shit. Shit. Shit.

"I... haven't gotten it yet."

"What do you mean?" She spoke louder, causing the students to turn to look at me.

"I don't have one," I admitted.

"Why not?" Her tone was annoyed with me.

"I still haven't gotten one. I'm sorry." In total humiliation, I lowered my head.

"This is why people never achieve success in life. How do you plan on thriving as a young adult? You will be fired if you do not arrive prepared. You're fired, and you're broke. If you're poor..." She couldn't care less if I was dying of embarrassment and shame right now.

"Well... you die. Allow this to serve as a learning experience for the next time you come to my class." She returned her attention to the class.

Then she leaned in close so that only I could hear what she was saying.

"You've got until Friday." She said it with her teeth clenched.

I swear she's a witch. Never in my life have I been so humiliated in front of a class. I wanted to cry but couldn't find the words.

Then my thoughts returned to the jerk who had started it all. I spent the rest of the class with Jamie, looking through his book. This irritated me.

I quickly gathered my belongings and paced out of the doorway after class was over.

"Didn't you think today's class was interesting?" As I walked out, I heard a voice say.

I turned around to see that son of a bitch from the library. He was leaning against the wall near the door.