15. Helping Hand

"You're smiling like an idiot," Ren says to me, breaking my train of thought from a few moments ago. I had the most incredible time. And probably the most successful first date I've had in a long time.

"What?" I can't even remember what he said.

"Nothing." He muttered something under his breath.

I sigh contentedly. For a few seconds, the car was deafeningly quiet.

"So... how'd it go?" He made a tap on the steering wheel.

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but I believe everything went well." I gave him an honest response.

"Really?"

"I mean, I didn't embarrass myself as much as I expected, and I even made him laugh. And I'm not even funny." I laughed. Even if my life depended on it, I couldn't make anyone laugh.

"Well, you two seemed to enjoy each other's company." He gave me a sincere smile.

"You think so?" The thought made me flush.

"Yeah, I guess." He mumbled as if he didn't want to flatter us.

"Does that mean you'll continue to help me?" With anticipation, I raised my eyes.

"Obviously, I didn't have much of a choice in the matter. Besides, Danny does seem to like you. A lot. He wasn't himself tonight, I swear." He tells me, and I immediately feel ten times better.

"Yay! I'm excited!" I pretended to cheer by raising my hands. Ren gave me a quick glance and chuckled.

"I'm not doing this for you, but for my best friend. Just... so you're aware." I rolled my eyes as he cleared his throat.

"Of course." I grin. I just can't stop smiling.

"By the way... what was the deal with him coming back after you?" He swallowed and cleared his throat.

"Oh, that? He just wanted my number." I shook my head.

"Did you give it to him?" He wondered aloud. Perhaps with a tinge of curiosity in his voice.

"Well technically, he gave me his. So that means I'd have to text him first." I elaborated.

"Are you?" He says this without providing any context.

"Am I what?" I ask for clarification.

"Are you planning on texting him?" He responds.

"I will... as soon as I think of something to say." I bury my face in my hands' palms.

"It's not that difficult, Kimora. Simply... be yourself. Because you're interesting, no conversation with you would be boring." For Ren to be... Ren, he certainly boosts confidence.

It's difficult to imagine nice things coming from his mouth at times. His compliment immediately warmed my heart, making me smile. I've been smiling a lot lately.

"Maybe..." I say.

"You hungry?" He asked after the car returned to silence.

"I'm starving." I jokingly patted my stomach.

"You wanna get a burger or something?" He suggested.

"Only if you're paying," I demanded, and he smiled broadly, revealing his dimple.

"Fine." With his tongue, he poked the inside of his cheek.

We pulled into the closest restaurant we could find. It appeared to be a buffet burger joint. But I didn't mind because I was starving. Furthermore, this will allow Ren and I to thoroughly discuss Danny.