6. The Friends

When the end of the week came, I couldn't wait to meet Naomi's friends. I became more concerned. What if they disliked me? I'm hoping they will. That was all I could think of. I had a recent reputation for making poor first impressions. What happens if that happens?

"Um hello? You have a project to complete. What are you thinking about right now?" Ren's voice cut me off in my tracks.

"Nothing," I replied flatly, continuing to paint.

"You've been zoning out all week, so it's got to be more than nothing." He shifted his weight to face me, giving me his undivided attention.

"It's nothing, Ren." I cleared my throat.

"You know you can't lie to me." He said it as if he knew who I was. I groan loudly before succumbing. I knew he'd never leave me alone.

"Jesus, I'm not sure why I'm asking you this, but do you think I'm... cool?" I was hesitant to ask him, and I regretted it even more when the corner of his lips curled upwards.

"Cool?" He said it again, and I could tell he was trying not to laugh.

"Yeah, like... do you think one of your friends would like me if you introduced me to them?" I elaborated.

"Why? Are you going on a blind date, or what?" He completely disregarded the purpose of this conversation.

"Just... answer the question. Please? This is embarrassing enough as it is." I let out a sigh into my hands.

"Do you really want my opinion?" He arched his brow.

"I mean, I guess? That's why I asked you." My head shook.

"No." He said this after a minute of silence. He gathered his belongings and exited the classroom, leaving me behind.

No? No, as in I'm not cool? My heart rate slowed. This must be another of his games. I frantically gathered my belongings and dashed after him.

"No?" When I caught up with him, I exclaimed.

"No. You're not at all cool." He kept walking at a steady pace.

"Are you kidding me?" I laughed, hoping he was kidding. He came to a halt, and I imitated his actions.

"It's true. You're not cool at all. In fact, I believe you're a boring homebody who doesn't like to have fun." He spoke softly as he moved closer to me.

"Wow. This is coming from someone who has only recently met me. You don't know me." I tried to sound intimidating, but as he got closer, I took more steps away from him, causing my back to collide with a wall.

"I don't have to know you. I can read you like an open book." He rests his hand on the wall above my head.

"Oh, yeah? What am I thinking right now?" I jokingly folded my arms and closed my eyes.

"Hm, let's see. You're thinking to yourself, God, Ren is so hot, I wish he'd just kiss me right now." When I opened my eyes again, he had a serious expression on his face. I think? Because he's so moody, it's difficult to tell.

"That's funny. You're funny because I was just thinking, God, I wish this piece of shit would stop talking for a change." I prodded his chest.

"You didn't deny it." He smirked as he pulled my finger from his chest. I quickly yanked my hand away from the skin-to-skin contact.

"You're so full of yourself. You must think I'm like all the other girls who can be swayed by your charms, don't you? Desperate for Ren's attention for once." I played the superior role he believes he has.