21. The Trip

REN'S POV:

I only care about three things in my life.

Myself, art, and Kimora.

There was no hiding that anymore.

The next morning, I woke up to find her gone. Last night felt like a dream. Spending time with Kimora, no interruptions. We actually enjoyed each other's company; we got to know each other better; we shared our secrets. Without bringing up Danny, or anything that's a barrier between us. Now that she's gone, it's like she was never here. Maybe she freaked out because I ended up going to sleep beside her.

My heart raced knowing that I had acknowledged the feelings I'd had for her. Part of me, deep down, wants her to feel the same way, but that would be a stretch.

Then what?

If she ever liked me back, I know she would want more. And I can't give her that. I don't want to start something just to lose it all in the end. To lose her. Everything that we've built together. It would be pointless.

I'll pretend that these feelings don't exist. Keep helping her with Danny, and once they're together, step aside. Besides, I'm not the type of person to let my feelings get the best of me.

After I got up, I looked at my calendar. Today is the trip. Naomi, Kimora, Danny, and our new friend Gabriel decided to go on a week trip to Lakewater Falls for fall break.

I usually hate group gatherings. It would take major convincing and money to get me to hang out with Danny and Naomi. Especially trips. God, it's going to be dreadful. I'd rather stay here and do things that I like rather than socialize.

But for some reason... I can't stop myself from going. I felt extremely nervous this time, spending a weekend with all of them like that. Maybe it was because I knew that it was going to be with Kimora this time. I find myself always wanting to be around her. I feel like our friendship has shifted drastically over time. And it's different now. I don't know if I'm making things up in my head, or if it's mutual.

This whole feeling situation is really coming over me. I have never liked anyone before, so it's foreign to me. I get nervous around her, I stutter, and my heart keeps doing ridiculous things when I see her. I didn't even know I was capable of feeling such things. But Kimora... always stood out to me from the start.

I sent a text to Danny telling him to meet us at the nearest gas station before heading out to meet Naomi and Kimora.

Once I arrived in the parking lot on campus, I spotted Naomi and Kimora dragging their things to the car they were taking. I make my way to them, and Naomi approaches me first.

"Renny!" Naomi greets me with a hug as always.

"Naomi, you act like you never see me." I groan at her attack.

"Aw, but I never see you. And now, you're going on a trip with us!" She kisses my cheek.

"Stop talking about it, I might change my mind." I laughed and turned my attention to a quiet Kimora that was standing behind Naomi.

"Hi, Kimora," I say, and her eyes widen at me as if she had been caught off guard.

"Hi, Ren." She said with a soft smile. I would hug her, but that would make it weird.

"Oh Kimora, you're so lucky, this is Ren's first time going on a trip with us like this." Naomi interrupted our silent encounter.

"It is?" She looked at Naomi.

"You couldn't pay him a million dollars to come with us." Naomi half-whispered, half-shouted.

"That's it, I changed my mind," I said, pretending to turn away, but Naomi clung onto my arm, making sure I didn't move anymore.

"You're not leaving now!" She tugged, and I laughed at her efforts. Kimora laughed at our playfulness, and I smiled at her.

"I'll go get the rest of my things. Kimora, start the car." As Naomi instructed, she ran back into the building.

"Got it." She nodded while dragging her suitcase to the trunk of the car.

I made my way towards her and grabbed the handle of the suitcase that she had. Our eyes met, and I felt a calming chill.

"I got it for you." I smiled and picked it up, setting it next to the rest of the bags and suitcases.

"Thanks." She stepped back so that I could close the trunk.

She walked to the driver's seat and cranked it up like Naomi told her to do. She got out and closed the door behind her, leaning on the side of the car. I stood in front of her and shoved my hand in the pockets of my pants.

KIMORA'S POV:

God, he looks so good today. He was wearing his hair in a bun, showing off all of his beautiful facial features, and it was hard not to stare at him. The energy is by far the most different than it has ever been. It's almost like I'm seeing him differently.

"You excited for this trip?" He started a conversation.

"Yeah, I've never been to Lakewater before," I say, honestly.

"This will be my first time too." He assured me.

"How'd you..." He hesitated at first.

"Hm?" I hummed.

"How'd you get into your dorm this morning?" He changed subjects.

"Oh. I ended up calling administration for assistance." I explained.

"Oh." He gave a weak smile.

"Yeah..." It was so tense.

"I hope I didn't make you uncomfortable last night... I just-" His face was shrouded in discomfort.

"No, you didn't," I answer, too quickly. If last night felt like anything, it would be natural. Everything felt natural with him. And that's what scares me.

"Okay. Good." He sighs in relief.

Yep. The energy between us has definitely become different.

You see, this morning I woke up next to him. Which is by far inappropriate. I mean, even though nothing happened, it still felt wrong.

This morning, I felt his arms latch around me. And... I didn't want to remove myself.

In fact, I turned around to face his sleeping state and I watched him. How relaxed his face was in his slumber. How ethereal he looked.

I traced my fingers across his soft lips, tempted to kiss them again. Then I stopped myself.

What the hell am I thinking?

I have spent too much time with Ren, and I'm starting to think things about him. Things I shouldn't be thinking or feeling.

I left his dorm this morning out of fear.

For the rest of the ride, I fell asleep so that I wouldn't have to interact with everyone else.

Hopefully, these feelings will go away during our trip.