15: The Curse

Hayley had me and Hope in the lounge, she was sat on the sofa brushing through our hair as she explained to Hope what happened today. She was still scared she saw things a child shouldn't see. I focused on her because I didn't want to think about what I did. I killed someone.

And if I didn't think about that I thought about Damon who still hadn't woken up yet. And i didn't want to think about that either. So I focused on Hope. But I think Hayley knew I needed someone to take care of me, that's why she was doing my hair in braids for me after I changed from my shower.

They wouldn't let me go into my room to see Damon so it must have been bad. I was wearing a set of Rebekah's silk button-up pj's. "Is Damon going to Die?" Hope asked. "It would be kind of hard for me to die when I'm standing right here." I don't think I moved so fast in my life. I dodged the others in the room and leapt onto him my legs wrapped tightly around his waist and he held me up. 

"You scared me," I told him pushing my head deeper in his neck. "I couldn't leave you." He whispered to me. "Did you see her?" I asked and I felt him nod. I didn't want to let go of him. I was worried I'd never had him hold me again or make me laugh. He was annoying and stubborn as hell but I loved him anyway, that's what best friends do. He tried to put me down. "Don't," I tell him and he wrapped his arms around me again. "You're clinging tonight." "You almost died I'm allowed to be clinging tonight," I mumbled back. He sat us down.

KLAUS' POV

Seeing her hold onto him like that made me realise how much they cared for one another. He came to help fight despite hating me so she wouldn't have to so he could protect her. He sacrificed himself for her. But she is my daughter and we do everything ourselves evidently. Without her there I would have been as good as dead. He compelled Freya to fight against me and that's when it went downhill. 

Her body was relaxed in his embrace like she felt safe, the same way it melted into mine when I woke up from being staked. She got there in time before my body began to burn to stop it from actually killing me. I owe her my life. 

I haven't seen Damon comfort someone since Elena. He would always carry her out of the battle like a knight, he didn't care if they won or not as long as Elena was safe. 

-------

The fire was crackling and the cleanup team was almost done with the house, this being the only room other than the bedrooms that didn't have blood splattered up the walls. My family was laid in her, some asleep others holding on to their loved ones. 

Hope was cradling in my arms her legs dangling onto Hayley's lap, Hayley had her head rested on Elijah's shoulder and he was creasing her hair as she slept. Bex and Marcel were sat by the fire cuddled under the blanket having their own conversation. Bonnie, Care and Stefan were sat together on the other sofa. Damon still held onto Azalea despite her being asleep for a few hours now. He wouldn't let her go because he promised her he wouldn't. I respected him for that. 

I smiled at her hand in mine, she was gripping so tightly. They were sat on the floor in front of my legs and she had reached up whilst everyone was talking early and held my hand. I wasn't going to let go either. My daughter wanted to hold my hand. I'd rather not have nearly died. And I'd rather her not have triggered the curse but I was glad it brought us closer together. She could even stand being in the same room as Cami and Marcel. 

Cami was sat with Freya who was still processing what she had done. If she had managed to win the power struggle between her and Azalea the spell she had used would have killed her. And I think that was hard for her to grasp because the only reason she agreed to help me was to make sure no other witch hurt Zlea. 

I rubbed my thumb across her hand. "We should take them to bed," Elijah said to me. "Let them be." They all looked peaceful after a hard day they all needed rest. "Are you sure?" "I just want them close." He half-smiled at me and then noticed her hand in mine. "Hold on to her Klaus, she might not be as forgiving this time." He tells me. "I can't lose her Elijah...What if I break her?" "You've done an excellent job with Hope, Niklaus, you just have to do the same with her."