32: Prove Yourself

"I'm not going to promise you that I won't do something stupid again. Not where it concerns Hope. But I will promise you I'll stop trying to protect everyone... You won't lose me." I hold his hand a little tight. Hope is my first priority if she's in danger I'm going to protect her. I don't care what that means for life, I'd died a thousand times if it meant she was safe. But I love Damon and he says he loves me and I know how it feels to lose someone you love and I don't want him to go through that again. It sucks and it hurts and you feel like you're breaking. I don't want to do that to him. 

"I love you too," I tell him. "I'm not going anywhere." I kiss him just a short sweet kiss to reassure him. "I was thinking you could stay at mine, the apartment on the weekends... Give us our own space." He said almost shyly like he was scared of my response. "I think that would be good for us." Where ever we go whether it be the schoolhouse where Damon lives full time or my home with my family, someone is always there and we don't really get time to just be us. "Merry Christmas Z. Merry Christmas Damon."

KLAUS' POV

"They're going to be moving out before we know it!" I say pacing the lounge after hearing the couple's conversation. "She's 19 Klaus, she should be at College, she shouldn't be trapped at home." Freya tried to reason. "I just got her back." "And she's not the child you sent away to protect, she's a strong extremely independent woman." "Then she'll go to college. I'm not having her stuck as a housewife to that." "Damon's a nice man. He's good to her. You send him away she'll rasante  you." Hayley said in a knowing tone. "I'm going her what she want's she wants to be a doctor so we send her to the best schools there is." "Damon will just go with her and she'll be even further away from you than she is now." This family makes me want to murder people. Why can't they just get on board with my plans? "Damon Salvatore isn't a good man." "He was before a girl broke his heart." Care said. "Elena collected the pieces. And Azalea is putting it back together." "When did you get here?" "Zlea forgot to bring Hope's gifts home with her this afternoon. I was just dropping them off." "Thank you, Caroline," Hayley says taking the sack of gifts. "Thank you," I say with a forced smile. 

"He's good to her." She tells me. "Treats her like she's a princess." "He just sits quietly beside her here." Care smiles amused. "Ever thought that's because he didn't want to overstep... You're her father. You're not exactly a cuddly bear to potential boys." "Well at least he won't take advantage of her, he knows I'll kill him." "There's the warm fuzzy demeanour we all love." She said sarcastically. "Come over tomorrow, we're having a little boxing day party, they'll be games and drinks the girls can play together. See how he treats her in his home." Hayley was looking at me expectantly. "Fine." I sigh. "I'll come but I'm not saying I'll allow her to move out.' "She's staying over at her Boyfriends two nights a week get over it already," Bex said coming into the room with Marcel. "The more you forbid it the more she'll want it. You did it with me now I'm engaged to him." She said fluttering her fingers showing off her new ring. "Well, I did give him permission." "We did." Elijah corrects. "I'm really happy for you guys," Hayley said hugging her. 

-------------

"Oh my gosh! I can't believe he finally did it!" Azalea said examining the ring on Bex's finger over breakfast. "Damon look how pretty it is." She showed me. "Congratulations." He said uninterested. I guess fine rings weren't his thing. I mean he works around with that monstrosity on his finger... he couldn't have swapped for a more modern daylight ring? Of course, my little girl didn't need one she's just part of the elite breed. Like her father. 

"I'm so happy for you. I can't wait to help plan the wedding! Have you got any venues in mind?" And now the wedding talk begins. I tuned out. I eyed Damon up who sat at the side of Azalea like he always did not really saying much. It was like she was his master and he the obedient dog just sitting beside her like some prize trophy. She deserved a man, someone who would protect her, fight for her.