24: She's Not Your Daughter

AZALEA'S POV
I couldn't settle and I was tired I just wanted to sleep. "I give up." I sit up the moonlighting up my room. Damon was asleep on the makeshift bed Hayley put up for him. I tried to be quiet and snuck out of my room. I didn't want to wake him. 

"Where are you heading?" I looked over my shoulder he was sat up rubbing his eyes. "Just getting some water," I tell him. I didn't really know what I was going to do or where I was heading. "I'll get it for you." "It's okay." I leave closeting the door behind me.

I find my dad in the painting room. "Hey," I say leaning against the doorway. "What are you still doing up?" "Can't sleep." "Come in. Come sit." He cleared a spot on the sofa beside him where he had his canvas set up. "Is that really my mum?" I asked.

Every time I closed my eyes to sleep I just see her face and I keep imagining what it would have been like to have her in my life. She looked a little like me. The same hair, blue eyes I was a little taller than she was. When she smiled she looked loving but when she scowled she looked mean and there was something glistening in her eyes that I couldn't comprehend. "Yes, she is your mother." "Why didn't you bring me to her? When I found out about you?" There had to be a reason why he kept her from me. Assumed my mother had been killed or something but there she stood last night right there in front of me.

"Your mother is ill." "Ill?" "She's got a few issues and I was scared that she would hurt you or mess with your head." He didn't look at me he kept painting his eyes were glued to it. "Why?" "You don't live almost 1000 years without going a little insane, love." "But she wouldn't hurt me. She's my mum." I clarify. "If you want to see her I won't stop you, love." I nodded though I don't know if he saw or not. Because I was looking at my lap playing with my fingers. "I think I would like to see her." "I'll call her in the morning." He put his brush down. "And if it doesn't go so well I'll still be here." "You're not bad?" "No. Of course not princess." He sat beside me. "You have every right to know your mother. I took you from here to protect you. But you showed me you can protect yourself just fine." He squeezed my knee and I looked at him. "Don't beat yourself up too much okay." I felt the tears rush. My eyes. The guilt has been eating me alive these past few weeks. "I killed so many people dad." "They were going to kill you." He told me. "I don't want you to lose this part of you. The part that is so caring and compassionate but it's everything I was... and I lost it because of what happened to me. But in the world, we live in. Because of who we are, our family name or our supernatural abilities it often comes down to kill or be killed." I nodded. "I know that's not you. It's not who you are but you're capable of protecting yourself of fighting for your own safety and you shouldn't be guilty when you are forced to protect yourself okay." I nodded again. "You promise me you'll always fight if you're under threat don't let this guilt you have hold you back from fear, princess." "I promise dad," I kissed my forehead softly pulling me into his side. I tucked my legs up beside me and leant against him. "I love you princess." "I love you, Dad," I tell him.

"Get some sleep okay," I responded by closing my eyes his arm was firmly around me and I felt safe. It was a nice feeling. A warm feeling.
——————————

"Morning sleeping beauty's," Hayley says as my eyes fluttered open. I was still in the painting room and dads arm was still around me my head was now in his lap and a blanket was thrown over my body.

"Morning." I yawned as I sat up. "Your mother said she'll meet you at the restaurant for brunch," Nik told me as he stood up. "Okay... could you drive me?" I asked. "Yeah." I went to leave and stopped when I was out of sight. "You're letting her see her?" Hayley asked shocked. "It's her mother. I don't want her to resent me for not letting her see her." "She's not sane!" "She has to navigate through this herself." "Shell hurt her." Hayley defended. "Respectfully Hayley she's not your daughter this isn't your choice. It's mine. I think it's best if she sees her mother and finds out what she's like for herself."