Wolf out of the bag

Alex took her spot beside her father once more. She hadn't realized just how much she missed the security of his arms. Nathan and Eyal had taken the couch across from them. Aaron had excused himself, saying this had nothing to do with him.

"How are you alive?" Alex dived right into the one question she wanted the answer to. "I saw you and mom get killed the night the pack was attacked."

"You saw us getting ambushed." Clay corrected. "In the mess of things, they didn't realize I was still breathing. Mind you I was more dead than alive, but I was alive. Those few wolves that managed to escape, came back looking for survivors. They found me and helped patch me up. It took a few months to get back to full strength."

"That was three years ago." She whispered.

Clay grabbed her chin, making her look up at him. "And I never stopped looking for you. I knew you were alive. But I didn't know where you had gone. Derek moved constantly from place to place. When I finally caught up with him, he tells me you are in the wind."

Alex frowned. "Our pack was attacked by hunters. Killed every female, with the exception of me."

Clay let out a low growl. "Funny, he said you ran off. Found your mate and left the pack. He did tell me about the silver, but from the looks of it, it's completely out of your system." Alex nodded, snuggling into his side. "I've also heard of all your little adventures with the pack of humans."

"Yeah, it's been a crazy few months." She chuckled. "Have you ever heard of someone finding both their mates?" Clay nodded. "At the same time?"

A look of confusion crossed his features, his eyes turning to the two wolves in front of him. "Them?"

"Eyal? God no." She pulled a face, gesturing towards Nathan. "Nathan is my mate, we mated a few months ago." She flinched at the deep growl her father gave. "But before him, I also met my other mate."

"I have heard of wolves meeting their second mate, but it usually happens when the first mate is lost." Clay mumbled. "Still, you shouldn't have known Nathan was your mate. Neither of you. In fact, it shouldn't have affected you."

"What do you mean?"

"When a wolf meets their mate, it's game over. You live and breathe for only them. Should your second mate ever be presented to you, you wouldn't even know it." Clay explained. "Your wolf is only interested in one. If by whatever reason you lose your first, then and only then will the connection with the other be announced."

"I met Jethro first." Alex thought back. "How was I able to feel Nathan as well?"

"Did you reject him?" A light dark-skinned woman asked from the doorway. "Did Jethro do anything that may have caused you to sway the other way?"

"He got a girlfriend." Nathan answered.

"Not to mention he is human." Eyal added. "Oh, and he has done a few things that may have harmed her connection towards him."

Clay's eyes jumped from Eyal to Alex. "What things?"

"Nothing I didn't handle." Alex cast a death glare at the alpha. "Besides it's not like they know what I am, to them I am just a wolf." She turned her attention back to the she-wolf. "You were saying?"

"Right." She walked over to them, standing beside Clay. "You may have not sensed it, but you may have rejected your first mate."

"That's not possible." Alex scoffed. "I felt no pain or grief."

"It wasn't a full rejection little wolf." Clay replied. "This man didn't reject you back. But you did the moment you walked away from him. He although not knowing, made his choice in his mate. Giving you the chance to connect with your second mate."