35. [The Event Horizon]

[Song Above: Reflections by The Neighborhood]

It had been a while after the meeting Kondraki had had with Draven and James. Clef was currently walking with him to his office when Kondraki suddenly paused in his step. James was walking just down the hall. Clef raced after Kondraki as he ran to catch up to James.

He watched them exchange a conversation before they left to another room. Clef felt like he was intruding so he just stood at the door to watch them. He smiled. Kondraki was teaching the young man to sword fight, something Draven never bothered with. 

Kondraki ended a round with his sword at James' throat. The older man laughed, "You're bad at this, not as bad as Draven, but still godawful."

He chuckled and called over, "Don't be too harsh on the kid, Konny!"

"Shut up, Cleffy!" Kondraki shouted back with a grin.

"Cleffy? That's what you called your driver to our meeting, it was Clef all along?" James looked back and forth between them.

"Wha- Oh, yeah, he gave me a ride."

"Oh, that was nice of him."

Kondraki suddenly checked his watch and cursed as he ran out the door, "Ah shoot, I'm real sorry but I gotta go. See ya, James!" 

Clef followed him quickly, "Jeez Konny, way to be obvious!"

"Oh hush, he doesn't know anything!"

"You can't possibly know that." He said slowly as he felt James' eyes bore into the back of his head.

Clef paused as his phone beeped. He pulled it out and read an email asking for his presence. His eyes went comically wide. Shit. The O5 Council? He gulped slowly before changing direction. He found the room they had specified and nervously entered. 

He sat down at the end of a round table, 13 pairs of eyes on him. Technically 12 but he wasn't bothered with the technicalities of it all. He raked his gaze around the table. Founder, Gardener, Kid, Ambassador, Blackbird, Cowboy, Green, Newbie, Outsider, Archivist, Mailman, Accountant, and last but not least, The Tiebreaker. They're all here.

"Look, we'll cut to the chase, Clef." 

"You're here because we know all about your track record with Kondraki."

"What? What is this about?" He didn't like the dread in his heart.

"We've seen how close you can get to him. So we need to ask a favor of you."

"Which would be...?"

"We need you to kill him."

"What the hell? No, you know what? Go fuck yourselves." He snarled and stood to leave. 

"Hold it, Clef. We knew you wouldn't just agree to that. We have some conditions that might interest you." 

He paused with a sigh but didn't sit down, "What? What are these conditions?"

They all just exchanged looks before sliding a file to him. He huffed and snatched it up, glancing through it. Fury left a haze across his mind, "You're fucking crazy. Manipulating me like this. You're gonna neutralize 166 if I don't comply?"

"Yes."

"And you don't think that Kondraki might mean more to me than 166?"

"Then we'll terminate everyone you slightly care about along with those two."

"Fine. What is the plan?"

"Pleasure to do business with you, Clef. We'll arrange a promotion once this is all done with. So for this to work, you just need to make it seem like you're the one there to kill him."

"Wait, so I'm not killing him? Then who is?"

"Your friend COG."

"He just lost Julian, you're so wicked."

"Just do it."

"Okay." Clef sighed.

Alto, ever heard of the event horizon?

I don't have time for your bullshit.

Easy there, Al. I just wanna talk.

About what?

Just listen. So the event horizon, heard of it?

No, what is the point of this?

Well, it's the point of no return. Say you're sucked into a black hole, there's a point where there is no way you can feasibly get out. 

Okay, why are you telling me this?

You're on the event horizon, buddy. 

If anything, Kondraki is. 

Hmm, I would've said Kondraki if I meant Kondraki. I'm talking about you.

What?

Your story is running out of pages, running out of ink. Your wick is getting short. Your lantern is out of kerosene. I don't know how else to tell you this.

I'm gonna die.

Yes.