17. [A Romance Seeker]

[Song Above: Absinthe by IDKHBTFM]

Clef entered Site 17 with a troubled look, disturbed by the vacant feeling in his limbs. He certainly wasn't moving his legs himself, it was the darker version of himself doing that. What do I even call him? Shadow-Clef?

Shut up, we need to gather intel.

Okay.

He prowled down a hall, raking the scenery with searching eyes. He glared at anyone he just so happened to pass by. A wide, sharp-toothed grin spread across his face at their fear.

In here.

He entered a room that had a few desks, various computers among other things. I don't like this. I feel like I'm trapped in my own mind.

Shut the fuck up. I'm in control, we made a deal. No disobedience, remember? You know the punishment.

No, no! I'm doing what you want!

That's what I thought. Now, look for any document labeled 239.

He spent at least twenty minutes sifting through papers, delving into drawers, and scrolling through computer files.

He nearly jumped in excitement when he found a paper labeled 239. Found one!

Excellent!

He froze, the door had opened. He spun around, hiding the paper behind his back. There stood a familiar, wiry fellow on crutches, Kondraki next to him. Didn't I save him from getting his tie completely shredded in a paper shredder? Yes.

Clef glanced at Kondraki in confusion, the brunette looked tired but he was being polite and helping the other researcher carry a rather large stack of papers.

He found that he could speak on his own accord, his other self seemed to release the reigns for the meantime.

"Konny?"

Kondraki perked up, suddenly much more aware. He stared at Clef in ecstatic surprise. "Cleffy! What're you doing in here?"

"I could ask you the same thing." Clef squinted in friendly suspicion.

"Ah, I was passing by and I saw that Gerald here was struggling. Wanted to be nice."

Clef felt weird. He felt respect for Kondraki's good deed, however, it was tainted by a heavy hurt feeling in his chest. Jealousy~! No, be quiet!

Clef scoffed, glaring daggers at the injured researcher, "What are you doing with that many papers anyway?"

"M-Medical reports- on myself-" Gerald wheezed out between pants, lifting one crutch to emphasize his point.

Why the fuck am I so angry? Because you want Kondraki to assist you like that, it's only natural. Fuckin romance seeker.

Kondraki set the stack on a desk and gestured for Clef to follow him out. Clef obliged, tightening his grip around the hidden paper. They walked down the hall in silence.

"I heard that there's gonna be a few tests with 239, they wanna know more about what she's capable of." Kondraki made small talk, the choice of topic made Alto incredibly nervous though.

"O-Oh?" Clef mumbled, clutching the page.

"You know, I've been thinking about that kiss. We should go on a date or something or whatever, it's just a suggestion, nothing too serious—"

"I'd like that, Konny."

"Good, I dunno what I would've said if you declined. I wanna see where this'll go."

"So do I, Konny." Clef presented a kind smile to Kondraki, earning him a blush in return.

"Oh yeah, I won't be here in a few days, I've put in a request to assist an SCP termination at 19!"

"Why? I figured you were against the termination of SCPs?"

"I am! I just... thought it would be a fun experience." Kondraki glanced absently to the left, Lying to me? What for?

HOLY SHIT! What? THAT'S GONNA BE ONE HECK OF FEAT! Huh?? SHHH!

They stopped at the door to Kondraki's office, Clef still held tightly to the sheet. Kondraki went to disappear behind the office door, but he paused before closing it.

"One more thing."

"Yes, Konny?"

"Why are you trying to hide a document from me? Don't think I didn't notice."

Clef tensed up significantly, revealing the crumpled paper. He stared down at it, shame burning his cheeks.

"Why did you try to hide it?"

"I don't know..."

"You know you can trust me with anything, Alto."

"I don't know..." Clef stared up with wide, almost frightened eyes. Kondraki stared back, concern flashing in his gaze.

Stop it. Stop what? The look you're giving him. What do you mean? I'm not fucking stupid, we both know he can't resist you. What the fuck? You're disrupting the plan, you're gonna make us fail and I will NOT be happy. Okay, okay, yeesh! Good.

"I'm good, Konny." Clef lied.

Everyone knows him as a notorious liar, a snake with words. Here, in this universe, it's not him. He's not the liar, his darker side is the liar. After the events that will come to pass, his label as an avid liar will be forever set in place. Suited with an unfavorable title, the father of lies.