5. [Spilt Coffee]

[Song Above: This Feeling by The Chainsmokers ft. Kelsea Ballerini]

The day after Clef broke into 166's cell, Kondraki was on the verge of punching the coffee machine. The breakroom was surprisingly empty for it being early in the morning. Clef trudged in with a yawn.

"Hey, Konny."

"Morning, Alto." Clef's yawn seemed to get to Kondraki, so he yawned too.

"So, why'd you run out on me yesterday?" Clef mumbled tiredly as he grabbed a cup to fill with coffee.

"Ah, I was going to get assigned an office. It's right down the hall from yours."

"Oh. Cool."

"Wanna go see it? I'm not done setting up but there's some stuff." Kondraki took a long sip of his cup of coffee. Clef blinked slowly, pouring himself a cup.

"Sure."

They both whipped their heads around when the door opened. Some random staff member waltzed in. Clef scoffed, turning back to Kondraki. He hadn't realized how close he was standing to Kondraki and ended up bumping into him. Clef's cup tipped back toward himself and his coffee spilled out.

Clef recoiled with a hiss, "WHAT WAS THAT FOR?!"

"What? That was your fault, idiot!" Kondraki backed away hastily.

"Why were you standing right there then? Urg, this is one of my favorite shirts!" Clef hissed out and looked angrily down at his drenched bright pink Hawaiian shirt.

Why don't you take out your anger in a more... violent way? No, I won't. Get out of my head.

Clef looked up, and he squinted at Kondraki. He grinned widely, and he slapped Kondraki's hand, forcing Kondraki to have the same fate as Clef.

"WHY DID YOU DO THAT, CLEF?!" Kondraki shouted, and he grabbed Clef by the shoulders, shaking him violently.

The random staff member became startled and left the breakroom as quickly as they could manage. The two researchers were staring at each other, seething and livid.

"I'm gonna stink of coffee all day, thanks Konny." Clef scoffed and rolled his eyes.

"So will I! Don't think you're special!" Kondraki let out a gruff sigh of defeat. The 408 butterflies had flocked to Kondraki and all landed where the coffee had splashed him, trying to help him and simultaneously being attracted to the sugar.

Kondraki muttered under his breath, "No, No. Guys, it's okay," trying to shoo the green insects away. Most of them fluttered off him and hovered around him, the other few decided to cling on.

"Alright, I have a few spare shirts in my office. Do you want to borrow one?" Kondraki sighed heavily.

"Uh, sure. Okay. Let's go." Clef agreed begrudgingly.

Clef followed Kondraki down the hallway, glaring at anyone nearby. They passed Clef's office, which he stared after longingly. Clef nearly ran into Kondraki when he stopped abruptly. Clef jolted and almost tripped to stop himself. He watched as Kondraki typed in a code into the keypad. The door screeched open and he followed the taller man inside.

Once inside, the door slammed shut. Clef looked around to take in the atmosphere. It was warm in Kondraki's office, unlike his drafty one. Kinda cozy. There were boxes strewn around the room, some opened and half empty and some barely even touched.

Kondraki ripped open a box and shuffled his hands around inside. Clef studied the desk, not much was on it but one photo frame that looked lonely on the desk. The frame was face down, hiding whatever Kondraki's family looked like. Does he even have anything other than a son? Clef thought about turning it over, however, he decided against it.

Clef turned back to Kondraki and got a shirt thrown at his face. He looked at the shirt with a squint. It was a button up with short sleeves that was dark green.

"Uh, thanks, Konny."

"Yeah, yeah." Grumbled the brunette, scanning another shirt. The one he had was just a dark brown turtleneck sweater, not an actual shirt.

Clef just stood there blinking, unsure of what to do. Clef started to panic when Kondraki tossed his hat to the side and began peeling off his soaked shirt and lab coat without a care in the world.

"What are you doing?" Clef hissed at his coworker.

Kondraki turned his head confusedly, "What?".

"Ahem." Clef gestured to Kondraki being half shirtless. Kondraki blinked a few times.

"Okay? We're friends, you don't need to feel self conscious, Alto."

Clef squinted again, making a face. He watched in discomfort as his "friend" tossed his shirt off and replaced it with the turtleneck. Clef just stared anxiously, that was until Kondraki put his hat back on and turned towards Clef.

Clef just stood like a deer in headlights. The shirt still in his hands.

"Alto? You okay there?" Kondraki studied the blonde's face.

"Yeah, I just haven't been exposed like this in a while." Clef rubbed the back of his neck nervously.

"I won't judge you, Alto. If that's what you think."

"I know you won't, Konny..." I'm not scared you'll judge me, I only strip for myself or... well... you know... a significant other?

Kondraki nodded and sat down at his desk. He shifted some papers around with a sigh, faintly grumbling about "too much work".

Clef inhaled slowly, shouldered off his lab coat, and unbuttoned his shirt. He shuffled it off and watched nervously as it fell to the floor. He shook himself and pulled Kondraki's shirt over his form, buttoning it up hastily.

He blinked a few times, scanning to see how he looked in the oversized shirt. It was loose and went down to a bit above mid-thigh. The shirt had a sweet smell to it, like sugar or something. That's what Konny smells like? Sure, I get the weird smell, gunpowder. Lame.

Clef picked up his shirt and lab coat, turning to Kondraki who sat at his desk. Kondraki looked up from his paperwork to see Clef. Kondraki's green gaze locked onto Clef's multicolored one.

His eyes flickered with some unknown emotion, the brunette's cheeks dusting a faint pink. Clef didn't take notice, he was too busy being awkward.

"Thanks again, Konny." Clef mumbled and opened the door, ready to leave.

Kondraki cleared his throat, shaking his head. "Sure thing, Alto!" He called after the blonde as the door shut behind him.