13. [Behind Closed Doors]

[Song Above: High School Sweethearts by Melanie Martinez]

Clef dragged Kondraki down a hall, Site 19 was a bad place to be during a breach. Clef wasn't accustomed to this site, meaning he had no clue where the safe areas were.

They passed a lone door and went to keep going but something was coming around the corner dead ahead. The pair stood ridged, staring silently. A sickly red creature padded around the corner, its feet covered in thin needle-sharp claws and its jaws lined with jagged rows of long fangs.

The beast swung its head around, jaws cracked open to test the air. It appeared to be eyeless but its other senses made up for it. The pair slowly crept backward, trying to get back to the door they had overlooked. The creature's dorsal spines pricked excitedly, the same as a dog would do with their ears. It lowered its head and crept toward the duo, claws clicking. It let out a low hiss, jaws wavering as it mimicked its last victim.

"H-Hello? Who's there?" Its voice was creaky and eerie, like a broken record.

The pair silently scrambled back, opening the door quietly. They kept watching the creature, even when they squished into the room. It wasn't actually a room, it was a small storage closet. When the door shut, it was a lot louder than expected, causing the creature to let out a ragged scream, throwing itself at the door.

It clawed at the door, trying its hardest to leave to door ravaged and get to the cowering scientists inside. It eventually let out a short grunt before walking off. The pair listened as the footfalls trailed off, the screeching alarm blaring in a distant hall.

Kondraki let out a relieved sigh, pressing himself back against a wall. Clef felt incredibly awkward, the closet was small. Too small for two grown men to fit in comfortably. Try all they might, they would still be touching each other. Clef was far too aware for his liking, there were three points of contact. Kondraki had his forearm on the wall next to Clef's head, earning him an elbow touching his shoulder. Kondraki had a leg bent, earning Clef a knee to his leg. Finally, the third point of contact being due to Clef pressing a hand to the taller's chest, to keep a distance.

Clef laughed awkwardly, nervous. Why am I so nervous? It's just Konny. But being this close to someone he actually liked as a person made it different. His thoughts trailed back to his date with Peanut, he had said something about maybe catching feelings, this didn't help at all. He didn't want to ruin the friendship they had going.

Clef looked up at Kondraki, who had his head turned to the door. Watching for 939 probably. Clef looked back down again. Clef briefly wondered where the 408 swarm was, he suddenly realized they hadn't come with Kondraki to 19. He shook the thought away, he wasn't about to admit that he was fond of the little bugs.

He looked up again, at the ceiling. He was looking for a light, though he couldn't make one out in the dim light. Busy looking for a light source, he hadn't realized Kondraki had begun to turn his head to him. It's far too cramped for that. Clef nearly jumped out of his skin when the brunette's nose brushed his own. His face burned like it never had before as he jerked his head back, away from the taller. Kondraki mirrored his startled movements.

The hand that Clef had pressed to Kondraki's chest balled up, clutching the brunette's shirt. His three eyes were wide, the size of dinner plates. He used his free hand to tug down the brim of his hat to hide his embarrassment, though it was too dim to even make out his facial expression.

Kondraki cleared his throat, red painting his face. He shuffled awkwardly, just as nervous as Clef. Clef started to mumble, "Sorry."

"No, I'm sorry. That was my fault." Kondraki huffed and stared at the door.

They stood in silence, sharing their breaths. They waited. They waited even when the alarms dulled, they needed the all clear. Footfalls sounded outside, they stiffened and shushed each other, even if they weren't speaking.

The door unlocked and opened. They stared wide-eyed at whatever was behind the door. It was Bright, he had a wild look in his eyes and was grinning wholeheartedly.

"I got chased by all four dogs at once! That was nuts! But- uhh- what's goin' on in here, huh?"

Bright looked back and forth between the pair, before Clef shoved him to the side and exited. Kondraki barged after him, still awkward.

"Ohhhh! I see!" Bright called after them, winking to emphasize what he was getting at.

The pair sputtered in embarrassment, running off down the hallway. The pair made it to the exit and paused on the pavement.

"Let's just... go back to 17 and not speak of this. Alright?" Kondraki grumbled, lifting his hat to run a hand through his locks.

"Sounds like a plan, Konny."