21. [Duking At The Darkest Hour]

[Song Above: Angel by Theory Of A Deadman]

The next day, something felt... different. Something was going to happen today, Clef could feel it.

Why does it feel weird?

FINALLY! This'll be interesting!

What will?

You'll see!

Yeesh, you're never helpful.

Rolling his eyes, he stalked into Site 17, he was definitely late to work. He looked around, he searched everywhere, Kondraki was not there. Where...? Oh, right, he said he was gonna help with a termination.

"Yo, Clef!" Bright called from behind him, he turned to the immortal with a tired look.

"What?"

"I hear that Kondraki is off at 19, it true?"

"Yes, I think so."

"Cool, wanna go watch the camera feed?"

"Uhh, how? He's at a completely different site."

"Ah, they're sending it all over the place because, you know, terminations are kinda a big deal."

"Hm. Fine," Clef sighed, shrugging.

"Great!" The immortal yipped and dragged him down the hall.

He was dragged into a dimly lit room, the light source being a dozen monitors, all broadcasting live camera feeds.

Bright scurried over to the nearest swivel chair, watching the monitors eagerly. He glanced back over at the blonde.

"I made a bet with him, I just hope I win."

Clef sighed and sat down next to Bright. He glanced hesitantly at the screens, The anomaly is outrunning them. This sucks. Konny, why did you want to help with this?

He grew more and more apprehensive as he lost sight of his beloved. Ben, don't get hurt or I swear I'm gonna kill you.

"NO! GODDAMMIT, NO! I LOST! FUCK!" Bright jumped out of his chair and started pacing.

"Lost what?"

"He told me right as he was leaving what he was gonna do, I bet him that he wouldn't do it!"

"Do what?"

"See for yourself!" Bright splayed his hands out wildly.

Clef turned back to the monitors, flicking his gaze from one to the next. There! On the camera feed, Kondraki was bracing himself with a tendril of metal while his surroundings started to rattle violently. The swarm of 408 clouded around him in excitement.

The camera feed started to cut out, the screen flooded with dust and rubble as the wall exploded into shards. Through the thick cloud of debris, eerie, yellow eyes gleamed and the looming silhouette of some terrifying beast prowled through the clutter.

Bright swiftly turned the sound on, an ear-shattering roar burst out of the speaker. They both flinched. BEN, DON'T BE STUPID! FUCKING RUN, YOU IDIOT!

Talons scratched across the floor, a low growl rumbled in the settling cloud of dust. The beast was in full view now, Kondraki looked so small in comparison. Kondraki's legs were shaking in absolute terror, but excitement was flaring in his eyes, a look of determination plastered across his face.

The beast was none other than the hard to destroy reptile himself, 682. He has had no happiness yet, all he has is his angry heart. He hasn't met his own beloved yet, someone of equal hatred.