29. [Repentance: Pt.1]

[Song Above: Friends by Chase Atlantic]

"You're... sorry? Forgive me, Alto, but I don't think sorry will cut it." Benjamin let out a dry laugh, staring at Clef as the blonde coughed out blood.

"I'm sorry." Clef repeated himself, taking in a rattling breath. His legs trembled under his weight, hands pressed hard against the blade pierced through his abdomen.

"I can't say that I understand. Why'd you do this, Alto? For what gain?" Kondraki shook his head, clearly puzzled. He pulled his sword from the wound, frowning as more blood followed.

"You know that I love you, Ben. But this is something I have to face on my own." He hissed, clutching harder at the laceration.

"Why? You shouldn't have to."

"Just. Drop it. I can't right now." He waved off the brunette, squeezing his eyes shut.

He grunted and fell to the side, barely steadying himself on a wall. Kondraki attempted to help him steady himself but was pushed away. "Stop trying to help me. You've done enough." Clef's voice cracked under heartbreak.

Kondraki visibly flinched at his words before replying, "I need to. I did this to you." He went to help apply pressure to the wound but Alto slapped his hand away with a look of contempt.

"You don't trust me anymore. Even if this wasn't my doing." He mumbled the second sentence under his breath, more to himself than to the taller man.

"I do still trust you, I just don't agree with what you were doing." Kondraki tried his hardest to smile but he failed as Clef stared at him with an unreadable gaze.

"You didn't notice anything was wrong. Did you ever even love me at all?"

"What? Are you insane? Of course I love you. What do you even mean by wrong? What was wrong?" Benjamin flinched back, shocked by Clef's words.

Clef laughed and grabbed Ben tightly by the shoulders, a look of hysteria crossing his features. "It wasn't me, Konny! You've gotta believe me— it was not me!"

The brunette frowned, stepping away from the blonde. Confusion and worry evident on his face.

"You don't... You think I'm crazy, Konny?"

"I... I don't know what to think, Clef."

Clef winced and doubled over in pain. Kondraki left him in his daze of overwhelming pain, trailing away down the hall.

Gears met him farther down, gesturing to the room 239 was in. Kondraki nodded solemnly and disappeared inside.

Clef shook himself from the wave of hurt and struggled to look up, slowly collapsing and sliding down the wall. A few paces away, Gears stood stiffly.

Clef blinked once, twice. He met Gears' dead gray gaze with intensity. Almost a challenge. While Clef may be down and forced into submission, he would still smolder under the pressure. He refused to let his will be smothered again.

Gears sighed, glancing around at the ashen rubble. He was thinking. The thoughts were almost swimming across his face, the only time he showed any trace of emotion. He picked up a slightly bent piece of rebar, scrutinizing it carefully.

He poked a few loose clumps of cement and metal with the rod before facing Clef again. He nodded without a trace of sincerity, "Greetings, Clef."

Clef scrunched his nose in distaste, "Gears."

Gears twitched an eyebrow before slowly walking over to Clef, using the rebar like a cane. He looked more serious than usual. And that was saying a lot.

Gears stopped a couple feet away, speaking with a stiff tone, "I think I'll just get straight to the point."

"And that is?"

"Someone's got to tell you off for pulling a stunt like this. And I'd like to be the one to do the honors."