6. [Broken Promise]

[Song above: Jekyll And Hyde by Jonathan Thulin]

At lunch, Clef and Kondraki sat awkwardly. Kondraki was still uncomfortable with Clef wearing his shirt. They ate in silence.

Clef glanced over at the brunette, "Where's Bright?" he asked.

Kondraki shrugged in response. They both looked around, searching for the chaotic ginger. Dr.Bright was nowhere to be found.

Clef spotted a familiar golden retriever. He called out to the dog, "Crow!"

The golden furred dog turned his head to Clef, tail wavering. He padded over, weaving through the tables. Kain hoisted himself up onto a chair across from the two.

"Yes, Clef?" Kain grazed his tongue across his whiskers.

"Um, you know where Bright is?" Clef glanced around again in hopes of finding his friend.

Kain's ears pinned themselves back. The dog shuffled around a bit.

"You didn't check your email, did you?" Kain growled lightheartedly and jumped down off the chair, padding away.

After lunch, Clef raced back to his office, Kondraki on his heels. He hastily entered and launched himself into his chair. Turning on his computer, he waited in anticipation.

He went to his email and poked around for the newest message.

Sent to: All Sites
Site 19 experienced a severe containment breach at approximately 8:30 AM today. The breached SCP was SCP-076-2, now successfully re-contained. Unfortunately, a few staff casualties were caused in this breach. A list of the staff can be found here: [...]

Clef and Kondraki made eye contact, a rising dread swamping the room. Clef clicked the link.

Don't care... Don't care... Don't care... Jack Bright... Don't care...

"Wait, WHAT?!" Clef shouted suddenly.

"He's dead?" Kondraki muttered mainly to himself.

A new email popped up. Clef opened it, still in shock.

Sent to: O5-12, O5-6, Evelyn Bright, Dr.Gears, Dr.Clef, Dr.Kondraki, Dr.Glass,...[Click to read more]
As you know, Jack died during the breach today. However, he is indeed alive. Due to SCP-963's abilities, he is alive but in a different body. Higher staff will be discussing what will be done with him. If he should be classified as an SCP is up for debate.

"WHAT??" Clef sat back in confusion. Kondraki just blinked at the screen in bewilderment.

"Okay? Thank you, Alto. For showing me." Kondraki retreated out of the room, Clef waving him off.

Clef just sat and stared at the email.

What? Look at that, the Foundation is only letting a select few know about this? They're lying more. Maybe they're lying about your daughter? They're not. You know what they ARE lying about? That little witch I warned you about. She's way too powerful, only a child. Why does she deserve so much power? I don't know... We've got to do something about it. All that power can't go unchecked! What? What could I even do? Kill her. RIP HER INTO PIECES. It's what she actually deserves. What has she done? ANSWER ME! Not what she HAS done, what she WILL do. How do you even know she'll do those things? Maybe she won't? Poor thing, she's getting to you already. I don't even know her. SMASH HER TINY SKULL INTO THE DIRT AND CRUSH HER BONES INTO DUST. NO! I won't! Please, don't make me! Not again! You're pathetic, Alto. Can't even kill some stupid witch? Even if she hurt 166? No. What about... If she hurt Kondraki? ... No response, huh? Seems I've hit a nerve. What, do you... ACTUALLY care about someone for once in your miserable and pathetic excuse of a life? Yes. Is that such a crime? No, he might turn on you one day. Maybe backstab you in more ways than one? No, he won't. He wouldn't. How do you know that? That's pretty hypocritical of you, Clef. I know the outcome. You don't. I can see it now! Kondraki with his brains blown ou—STOP IT! SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP! I CAN'T TAKE THIS!

Clef screwed his eyes shut and clutched at his ears, a feeble attempt to block out the unrelenting, venomous voice.

"Alto?" A familiar gruff voice sounded from the doorway. Clef, too caught up in his whirlwind of thoughts, clutched his head harder, visibly flinching.

A hand rested on his shoulder, his eyes shot open and he jolted. He turned to face the concerned face of Kondraki.

"You okay?" The brunette asked softly.

Slowly retracting his hands from his head, Clef responded with an unconvincing tone, "Y-Yeah. I'm fine, Konny." He smiled to emphasize his statement.

Kondraki didn't believe it for a second, but he backed off. He had no place to intrude, no need to force answers out of Clef if he wasn't comfortable.

Kondraki's hand rested on Clef's shoulder for a bit too long. When the brunette pulled away from the blonde, Clef was hyperaware of it.

"Alright." Kondraki went to leave when hands gripped his turtleneck harshly. Kondraki glanced down at Clef's shaking white knuckles.

"Alto...?"

"Konny... You won't die on me... Right?" Clef's voice was choked up. His expression was unreadable, for his hat was low and casting a shadow over his face.

Kondraki smiled kindly and shook his head, "I don't plan on dying anytime soon, Alto. No worries!"

Alto looked up at the taller man, eyes surprisingly clear and sharp. Tears nowhere in sight, eyes pinning down Kondraki.

"Promise?"

"I promise." The hands released his shirt.

Clef watched him leave slowly, all too aware of his footsteps echoing around the room.

People shouldn't make promises they can't keep. Clef simply shook his head, smiling warmly.