𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐦𝐢𝐱𝐞𝐫

Bit of a longer one today because I can! I'm aware that technically Joey and Jaime would be freshmen and in this oneshot they're not? Idk if they would be freshmen, someone feel free to educate me if you like. Anygays, enjoy my lovelies xoxo

Fresh, young faces crowded the hall, streamers and balloons decorating the open space. A definitely tainted bowl of punch sat on a table full of refreshments and several people stood near it.

"This is gonna be so boring, I can just feel it," Meredith complained, popping a grape into her mouth.

Lauren nodded in agreement. "What a waste of a Friday night."

"Why are we even here anyways?" Jaime asked, searching for something sweet.

"It's a community mixer for freshman, it's mandatory," Julia sighed, swilling her drink around in her cup. "We have to be here so all the dumb 18-year-olds can 'make friends' with seniors taking the same courses as them."

"It's bullshit if you ask me," Lauren chuckled, rolling her eyes as a large group of preppy frat boys walked past them.

"Pretty much..." Julia said, audibly bored.

The girls spent the next half an hour wandering around the hall, chatting with classmates and such, the boredom only increasing, until the boys showed up.

"God, finally, I'm so bored," Jaime smirked, eyeing Dylan up and down.

"We apologise for our tardiness," Darren spoke in a fancy British accent. "But this strapping young fellow attracted the attention of a freshman chick."

"Dare stop, they don't need to know," Joey shrugged him off, receiving smirks from almost everyone in the group.

Joe threw an arm around the tall boy's shoulders, jostling him around. "Oh come on, did you see the way she was looking at you?"

"And all the giggling and hair playing and 'oh stop it's' coming from her," Brolden mimicked the mystery girl.

The boys continued to tease Joey, the girls joining in even though they had no clue who this chick was. Well, all but one joined in. Lauren stood there in silence, eyes wandering from the floor to her shoes to her drink to the far wall and basically anywhere but her friends.

She didn't like to admit it, but she had a thing for Joey, and so whenever he flirted with a girl, which, in all fairness, wasn't all that often, it hurt her little insides.

Jaime noticed her friend's distracted silence, and decided to segue out of the conversation.

"Speaking of girls," Jaime smiled, her eyes twinkling. "Darren, what about that brunette you met at Starbucks, how'd things go with her?"

"Ok, I guess," the dark haired boy shrugged. "She gave me her number so I'm gonna text her, at some point... maybe I don't know, she didn't really seem into me."

"I'm sure she was, you're just being modest," Dylan assured his friend, clapping a hand to his shoulder.

Darren scrunched his nose a little. "Yeah, maybe."

Suddenly, a sweet, slightly high-pitched voice came from behind the group.

"Joey?" The girl's voice said.

Lauren bit her lip as the boys stepped aside to reveal her.

And sure enough, she was beautiful. Tall, light brown hair, earthy green eyes, plump pink lips, cute outfit.

"Megan, hey," Joey smiled, ignoring his friends sending winks his way.

She moved forward, noticing the girls stood behind but focusing on him instead. "I didn't know you were on your way here."