𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐥𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐨 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐫𝐦𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝𝐛𝐲𝐞

I low-key like this one, not gonna lie! Also, how do we feel about a slightly more serious oneshot with a darker theme. Of course I'd put a trigger warning (mention of self-harm, toxic and abusive relationships, panic attacks) but I don't know if that's too mature for a WattPad oneshot? What're your opinions, lovelies? <333

It was a Wednesday morning, the sun was shining, and the students of University of Michigan were hanging round the campus waiting for lectures to start or for friends to turn up.

Joey, along with Darren, Jaime, Dylan and Meredith, sat at a circular wooden table in the campus park.

"So, I bet Walker ten bucks that he couldn't chug a jar of pickle juice," Darren started, facial expression way too serious for the topic of conversation. "So he unscrewed the lid... and really tried his best. Long story short, I'm ten bucks richer and Joe threw up."

"That is the single most stupid thing I have heard all year, and I am dating Brian Holden," Meredith smirked.

Dylan burst out laughing, his head falling back as his cheeks heated up. "I'm telling him you said that!"

"Go ahead!" She chuckled, running a hand through her hair. "He knows he comes out with utter bullshit sometimes!"

The group's lighthearted conversations continued for around ten minutes, until a specific girl walked past them. She was short, wearing baggy, distressed mom jeans and a white crop top, paired with combat boots and a backpack slung over her shoulder.

Joey practically jumped out of his seat when he saw her walking towards them, confusing the rest of the group.

"Hey Lauren!" He said, attempting to sound cheery.

"Yeah hey." Lauren deadpanned, walking right past him, ignoring the rest of their friends and avoiding eye contact completely, a cold, pissed off expression taking residence on her face.

Jaime let out a sigh, stretching a little. "Jesus, what is up with her?"

"She's pissed at me," Joey informed them, bitterly.

"May I ask why?" Mere quipped, tilting her head at the pouting brunette.

It was Joey's turn to let out a sigh, rolling his eyes a little. "I'd rather not tell you guys... it's bad enough that my girlfriend who is also my best friend completely hates me for something I did not do, I don't need to drag everyone else into it and make the situation ten trillion times worse."

"Okay?" Darren frowned, discombobulated. "Does Julia know about this?"

"God knows..."

"I'm just gonna text her," Jaime smiled softly, pulling her phone out of her bag and receiving choked back laughter from Dylan.

A few minutes of uncomfortable silence passed, Joey in a bad mood and everyone else wondering why, until Julia replied to Jaime's frantic message.

"You cheated on her?!"

The group gasped, Meredith actually bringing a hand to her mouth in shock.

"For fucks sake!" Joey snapped, clearly tired of the misconception. "I did not cheat on her, why would I ever do that? Yesterday, I sent her a goodnight text because I was under the impression I was about to go to sleep, but I didn't. That doesn't fucking mean I have a mistress! It means I had a test to cram for!"

Darren visibly relaxed. "You scared me there for a second, I thought I was gonna have to beat the shit outta you for hurting Lauren."

"Believe me, that is the last thing I wanna do," he sighed, raking his hands through his hair. "But she doesn't believe me. All because of that manipulative, lying little asshole Freya."