𝐥𝐚𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐧 𝐚 𝐟𝐢𝐞𝐥𝐝

I do apologise for disappearing for a while! Stress levels have been high, what with end of year exams and having to isolate for ten days twice (still happening now) because half of my friend group had / has covid and a really cool severe relapse in emetophobia! So nice for me /j. Anygays, try and enjoy this longer, cuter oneshot. Oh and sorry for any errors I've only proof read this once whilst watching Friends and I wrote this months ago! Love y'all!

It was typical for the StarKids to get black-out drunk on the last day of the semester before spring break, but this was slightly different. Because it definitely was not typical for a group of them to wind up laying in field at one in the morning with no intention of finding their way back to their dorms.

Brian H laid flat on his back on the grass, Meredith next to him on her side, clutching his left hand in both of hers. In their drunken states, their conversation was slow and confused, neither really aware of what they were talking about or able to process the words floating in the air.

That was the same for everyone, no one really knowing exactly what was happening, but no one complaining about it either.

Joe W had somehow climbed up a tree and was resting comfortably on a branch sturdy enough to hold his weight as he was laid on his back, his legs dangling either side of the branch and his hands behind his head acting as a pillow.

Brian R had tried, and failed, multiple times to join his crush in the tree, his crush had mocked him playfully and secretly hoped he'd make it up there and join him but the amount of alcohol in Brian's system pretty much guaranteed serious injury if he tried and fell anymore.

At the base of the tree trunk, a pile of crushed beer cans and an empty bottle of Jack Daniels explained the whole situation, the empty mini bottles of Malibu, Bacardi, Bailey's and Smirnoff providing an even better explanation.

Dylan and Darren sat side by side, their hands propping them up as they looked at the stars, barely maintaining a conversation about the drunken girls a few feet in front of them.

Julia sat cross legged, looking at the stars too, Jaime's head resting on her lap. Jaime fiddled with a daisy, plucking the petals away one by one whilst repeating the words 'he loves me, he loves me not'.

That left just two more intoxicated college kids.

Joey leant on his elbows, his legs crossed and his hair falling onto his brow, but rather than being distracted with the stars as his companions were, he was completely absorbed with the small brunette girl just a foot away from him.

Lauren laid on her back, her hands resting on her stomach. Her hair was in curls, sitting perfectly about her face as if she were on the cover of a magazine. Jaime had decorated Lauren's locks with daisies and buttercups, every other member of their group graced with a daisy chain. Lauren's beautiful brown eyes sparkled as she looked at the sky above, seemingly mesmerised by the stars, smiling softly at the perfect picture above her.

To Joey, she was the perfect picture, pretty as a princess. He relished in the simplicity of it all. Lauren staring at the beauty above her, Joey staring at the beauty that was her.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" She whispered, the stars reflecting in her eyes.

Joey sighed, happily. "Yeah, gorgeous."

Of course, Lauren didn't realise he was talking about her, she couldn't take her eyes off the twinkling balls of fire in the sky.

Minutes passed, thought it could've been hours, the group sitting in comfortable silence. Before someone started humming. A recognisable tune, coming from Lauren.