Chapter 8- The mist

(!! Content warning !!- this chapter will include violence, blood, death and gore- read with caution if these may be triggering topics)

Odette Viotto-

"In the darkness, two shadows, reaching through the hopeless, heavy dusk. Their hands meet, and light spills in a flood like a hundred golden urns pouring out of the sun"

-The song of Achilles, Madeline Miller

"Now, I want you all to put away your wands and raise your hand towards the person standing opposite you... and think the incantation within your mind and cast away!".

The sound of Professor Griffiths voice reverberated off the walls of the defence classroom early in the morning, startling many awake as they had fallen asleep during her boring lecture on wandless magic.

Odette was on the receiving end of Hermione's first attempt at the wandless stunning charm, though she hadn't quite managed to even move Odette an inch.

"For merlins sake! Why can't I get it, you try, Odette so I can rest" Hermione grumbled, clenching her eyes shut, ready for what was to come.

Odette lifted her hand, pointed it in Hermione's direction, and spoke "stupefy" silently to herself- watching as her Gryffindor friend flew back a couple of meters behind, knocking down an unsuspecting Hufflepuff.

"I-I'm sorry Hermione!" Odette exclaimed, rushing to her friends side.

"Don't be silly, Odi, that's what we're here to learn- that was brilliant!" Hermione cheerily spoke, dusting off her scarlet robes.

"Come on, you try- I've had enough for today" Odette spoke, repositioning herself across from the bushy haired girl.

Hermione tried and tried many times to mirror her friends actions, she had, however, managed to make Odette tumble over a few times- but never cast her across the room.

"You're doing well. 'Mione" Odette praised as her friend helped her off the ground.

"Yeah, for a mudblood" Odette heard her prejudice roommate mutter under her breath as she passed. Odette glared at her, silencing her comments.

"I can't see how you can deal with such a foul spoken girl" Hermione chastised, shaking her head as the two girls moved to gather their belongings once the lesson concluded.

"She isn't usually this prone to bigotry, she's having an off day is seems" Odette informed the Gryffindor friend.

"That's all I've ever known of the girl, must be different for a pureblood" Hermione bleated with a downturned lip and a distasteful glare at Odette's roommate.

"I'm sorry for how you've been treated throughout your time at Hogwarts, you don't deserve it" Odette sighed as they took the stairs down to head outside for their care of magical creature lesson with Professor Hagrid.

"You have no reason to apologise, Odette, you are I believe to be the only Slytherin to ever show kindness towards me... you must not apologise as I should be thanking you" Hermione effused gratefully towards her longtime friend. 

"Don't thank me on basic magical decency, 'Mione, those who do not bare kindness are the disgrace of our kind... not us" Odette noted.