Chapter 18: A Place of My Own

Over the next few days, I learned to cook several healthy meals from the kitchen staff, to apply my own makeup to my mother's standards, and packed up most of the contents of my room. The only things left behind were clothes and accessories I had no use for and most of my furniture. I had also begun the process of selecting plants to take with me. The head gardener and I discussed the best methods to transplant them all and devised a plan to have them shipped to me in groups over the next several weeks. I would take the first batch that could be potted and kept in my room with me and would receive two separate shipments shortly after moving in. This would give me time to prep the courtyard in advance.

The moving company arrived and began to empty the boxes out of my room and into a large truck. Today was the day I'd officially be moving out of the home I grew up in. It should have been an emotional moment, but it wasn't. Only a few of the staff members came to say goodbye before Ken escorted me to the car to drive me to the school.

"Remember, you can still call me if you need anything, kiddo. Absolutely anything, alright?"

"I know. Thanks, Ken. But this will be good for me. It's a chance to be in charge of my own life for once. I'm probably more excited than I should be about leaving home."

He chuckled. "I know. You'll do great, kid. Just be safe and try to have a little fun for once."

"I'll try," I mumbled as we pulled up to the school gates. "Bye, Ken. See you later."

"Bye, kiddo."

I walked past the school buildings and toward the newly developed residential area. There was an endless line of dormitories, each with the corresponding class number etched to the front. The third year buildings were the closest to the school so I was in for a bit of a walk as I headed to where I assumed my building was. I noticed a group of familiar faces standing on the sidewalk in front of one of the dorms and, sure enough, a large 1-A was on the sign.

It looked as though most of my classmates were here already but I hung toward the back of the group until the last couple trickled in. Finally, Mr. Aizawa emerged from inside the dorm to address the class.

"Now then, class 1-A, I'm glad to see you all here. I'm gonna give you a quick overview of your dorms, but before that...the training camp was meant to earn you your provisional licenses. And that's still the goal...."

Aizawa gave us all a very serious look. "Todoroki, Kirishima, Midoriya, Yaoyorozu, Iida. On that night, you five headed out to rescue Bakugo."

What!?! They were the ones who rescued Bakugo? I glanced around at my classmates. Some of their faces held shock, some looked as confused as I was, and the five involved looked nervous.

"I think that all of you here understand the consequences of those actions. The issue's been swept under the rug for now, but let me say this much. If not for All Might's retirement, I would have expelled every single one of you, except for Bakugo, Jiro, Hagakure, and Satori. The five who went, of course, but also the 11 who knew and did nothing to stop them. Your reasons aside, the fact remains that you betrayed our trust. From now on, if you follow procedures and behave properly, you might be able to regain our trust. That's all. Now look lively and get a move on!"

Mr. Aizawa turned and began to make his way into the building but the mood of my classmates had plummeted. I could practically feel the guilt streaming off them. I glanced over at Kyoka and Toru. Kyoka shrugged her shoulders, signaling she also wasn't sure of what to do. But then Bakugo pulled a struggling Kaminari behind a group of bushes. A loud buzz of electricity could be heard before Kaminari emerged with a thumbs up and a dumb look on his face.

Kyoka immediately started giggling with Sero quick on her heels. Bakugo had managed to shift the mood and now most of the class was laughing and having a good time. I managed a small smile but left most of them behind and instead followed Mr. Aizawa into the dormitory.