[24] HE LOVES ME NOT

'everything in us presses toward decision, even toward the wrong decision, just to be free of the anxiety that precedes any big step in life'

The fair was magical. There was lovely music playing, stands everywhere, and the place was simply filled with wonder. Aurelie worked the flower stand with Dean and Alice. The entire time, she bothered Dean about what he had told her earlier.

"What signal?" Aurelie looked to Dean. 

"No." He shook his head. 

"Dean, tell me what the signal is." Aurelie complained. 

"No. The signal is something you need to see for yourself. Here." He handed her a coin. 

"What, is this supposed to be a signal?" Aurelie furrowed her eyebrows, unimpressed. 

"No. Do whatever you like. Distract yourself." Dean replied.

Aurelie sighed, taking it from him. She turned around, stepping forward to leave, but was stopped by her mother. "Aura." She said sternly. The girl slowly turned around. "Thank you." She clenched her jaw. "You are very welcome." Dean smiled.

Aurelie groaned, making her way off in frustration. "What signal? What possible signal could there even be? Does he take me for a fool? There is no way--" Aurelie paused, gasping. In front of her, was a tent with a large sign on it. 'Fortune Teller: Spirits, Signals, Sentiments.'

"Signals." Aurelie mumbled. Without hesitation, she entered. Inside, was an old woman with black hair, sitting elegantly by a table. There were cards set on top of it.

"Signals. I need to know the signal." She sat down, ready to get to the point. The fortune teller appeared confused for just a moment, but then nodded. "Ah, yes...sig...nals. You've come to the right place." She smiled. She held out her hand for money, but Aurelie ignored her.

"I'm on the lookout for a sign. I attempted to consult a daisy. Several...daises.." Aurelie trailed off. 

 "Ah, you're here for romance." Realized the fortune teller. She spoke in an accent that Aurelie could tell was fake. "Ah...That's why you're wearing this dress." Added the woman. 

"Well, actually It's just because--" Aurelie cut in. 

"You hope to impress a boy today." Madam Lyudmila interrupted. 

"Well, not so much as to impress, but as to--" Aurelie countered.

"Lucky for you..." The woman stated once more, not allowing Aurelie to finish. She put her cards together. "...my intuition is better than flower." She stated. "Wait. Hmm." She stood up, making her way behind a curtain.