Twenty-Five

Nearly the whole rest of the day was spent building furniture and unpacking in Yoongi’s room. It seems really overwhelming at first, but it turns out that we actually work really well together. He could come in handy in those times when I decide to rearrange my whole house at 2am.

     After all the unpacking and setting up was done, we bid our goodnights and went our separate ways. I was nearly praying for a good night’s rest when my phone started ringing. I reluctantly pick it up and answer without looking at the caller ID. “Hello?”

     “Hey Sydney. I hope I didn’t disturb you.” A man’s voice speaks slowly and smoothly from the other side of the call. 

     “Huh?...” I pull my phone back and glance at the name of the screen. “Jungkook? What’s going on?” I sit up in bed and turn on my bedside lamp.

     I hear a chuckle and a light sigh. “Nothing’s going on, I just wanted to talk to you.” He sounds like he’s had one too many to drink tonight.

     “Are you sure you’re alright? I figured you’d only call me if you desperately needed help and nobody else was available.” I let my bitterness seep through my voice for a moment so he knows I’m still not happy with him.

     Jungkook sighs again and coughs a little at the end. “I know I hurt you. I didn’t mean to, though…” I can almost feel the regret and guilt in his voice. He’s tugging at my heart strings. 

     “Jungkook, have you been drinking? Do you need a ride home?” Even before I’m done asking my question, I’ve already started putting on a pair of pants and some shoes. “Where are you? I can be there soon.”

     “I’m at…” His voice gets really soft for a moment until he sounds really far away. “Hey man, where am I?...” Another man’s voice speaks but is too soft to be heard on my end. “Okay. I’m at the bar next to the shop with the pickles that you and… Yoongi Hyung like so much.” 

     He sounds pretty upset right now. Thank God I know where that bar is. “Okay, Jungkook, you stay right there. I’m on my way and I’ll be there in a little bit, okay?” I use the tone of voice that one would use with a child to make sure I don’t accidentally hurt his feelings. Drunk people are essentially just huge toddlers anyway.

     I hear a faint agreement from Jungkook and I hang up the phone.

     ‘Maybe I should ask Yoongi to come with me…’ I make my way downstairs and stand in front of his bedroom door. My thoughts are everywhere and it becomes really hard to make a decision. That is, until I heard Yoongi’s soft snores emanating from the room behind the door. ‘No, I need to let him sleep. He’s always so tired.’ 

     Despite my better judgement, I go to pick up Jungkook by myself.

     I know the way to the shop I get the pickles at like the back of my hand. There’s only one bar close to the store, so I know exactly which one he referred to. I’ve never personally been there, as I’m not much of a drinker, but I see it every time I drive by.

     I just wish it wasn’t so late. The time on my radio reads 2:27am in bright green lights and I have to hold in a huge yawn. I already have so much trouble sleeping because of the nightmares, but now I have to deal with complete restlessness.

     Whatever. I would help anyone in this situation since I know how dangerous it can be.

     Even Jeon Jungkook.

-

     Finally, I pull into the bar’s parking lot and hop out of my car quickly. It’s not too hard to find him since the bar is pretty empty right now. I’m not sure why he chose this bar specifically since it’s so far away from his place, and also the fact that it’s just a bunch of old men trying to escape the wives that they hate so much.