Chapter 7 - Going away

The next day, I scramble around my room, trying to hurry up and get ready for the going away get together at Noah's house. Today is his last day, he is leaving later this evening and Sara should be here any minute to pick me up.  I stop to look at myself in the mirror, I look especially good today.

I have straightened my hair until it shines like gold around my shoulders, my carefully applied mascara and just a touch of eyeliner, making my eyes appear larger and the green color stand out more than normal. All the time in the sun the other day at the trestle with Noah, has given me a sun kissed look and the teal sundress I chose with great care this morning swirls around my mid thigh, showing off my long legs.

Hearing the knock at the front door, I grab the small gift box which contains the going away present I got for Noah off the bed and go downstairs, taking them two at a time. I swing the front door open to see Sara standing there. She also looks lovely, her auburn curls bouncy as usual, her bright blue romper bringing out her eyes. Her tiny upturned nose crinkles up as she smiles at me. " Ready?" She asks.

I nod. " Bye Mimi, be back later!" I yell over my shoulder as I walk out the door.

We get into Sara's car and head across town to Noah's house, windows down blasting music and singing along off key the whole way.  I glance over at Sara, I really love her. I think to myself. I never thought I would have a best friend like her. I know this whole loud music and singing is to try to keep my mind of Noah leaving. She is similar to Noah in that way, always seeming to know what I need. She mets my eyes, smiling at me and reaching over to give my hand a quick squeeze. I squeeze it back and grin at her.

We pull up at Noah's and walk in, the front door open, the gathering is in the back yard. We head through the living room out the back door. Outside Noah dad, Eric, is at the grill, flipping burgers and joking back and forth with his mom, Jenna, who sitting at the patio table under the shade of the umbrella, sipping lemonade. They both look over and wave as we come out.

Sara and I both chime out " Hi, Eric and Jenna!"  in unison.

As we walk up, Noah's mom gives us hugs, telling us how mince we look and his dad waves again, giving us a wink. " Hello, girls" he says
"The boys are bringing the ice chest and the drinks around, they will be back here in a minute."

Just then, Noah comes around the corner balancing the drinks in his arms. He looks so adorable, I think. Asher is right behind him, carrying the cooler full of ice, the muscles in his arms flexing under the weight of it. Adorable is definitely not the word I would use for him, the voice in my head groans. Forcing myself to look away from Asher, I grin at Noah, who smiles back at me, setting the drinks down to come and give me a hug and a quick peck on the lips before returning to help Asher. I force myself not to look in Asher direction at all.

" Food is ready! " Mr. Thomas calls out.

We all go and fix our plates and sit down around the table.  The meals is nice, everyone talking, joking and laughing, as we eat. I am very careful not to look at Asher directly and I have the feeling he is doing the same. No one wants to spoil our last day with Noah.

After we eat, Jenna suggest we play charades, which is her favorite game. We pair up, Noah's parents as a pair, Noah and Asher, and Sara and I.  It is hilarious to watch Noah and Asher try to act out the words and phrases, and it is the first time I have truly seen the bond they have. Watching them laugh and horse around, I feel more confident that I  can do what Noah asked of me. I can be around Asher and keep him company and that be it. Not only because Noah asked, and because it is the right thing to do, but because I wouldn't want to do anything to damage the bond I see in front of me.

After several rounds, Eric and Jenna are declared the winners, which surprises no one.
Jenna bring out a beautiful cake that says 'Congratulations and Good Luck Noah' and we all enjoy a slice. As everything g is winding down, after Sara and I help  clean up. I wander off to find Noah, I want to get him alone for a moment to give him my gift.