Chapter 8- Rush

The following days pass by in a fog. I don't want to admit it to myself, but I am really feeling down, without Noah around to force me to see the bright side of things. I have been sleeping or in bed pretty much all  the time. Sara had called several times, but I hadn't spoken to her since I left her house the morning after I had stayed the night with her.
I just didn't have it in me to answer.

I know Mimi is worried about me, she had said as much in an round about way, each time she poked her head into my room to check on me. Just then, my phone rang again, I almost didn't even look to see who it was, sure it was Sara again. Something told me to take a look and it was Noah!

I quickly answered, excitement running through me. "Noah?"

" Hello, love." His voice sounded far away and slightly staticky.

I breathed a sigh of contentment. " How are things going?" I ask.

He begins to apologize " I know it has been a little over a week, I'm sorry I haven't called. Cell reception in the area we are in currently is really bad, but I am really enjoying the work we are doing here. I miss you like crazy,of course."

" I miss you too." I say sadly.

" What have you been up to? I spoke with my parents and Asher and they said they hadn't spoken to you since I left?" He sounded worried.

I shifted uncomfortably in my bed, not wanting to tell him I had basically become a hermit in his absence. " Oh, just hanging around the house, spending time with Mimi." I fudged. "I was actually planning on going by your house later today to check in on Asher, like you asked."

He was silent for a heartbeat, probably seeing right though my lies, but deciding to let it go.
"Okay, I'm glad you have gotten to spend some extra time with Mimi, how is Sara? Will she be going with you today?"

I close my eyes and take a deep breath, deciding not to tell him I have been avoiding Sara as well, and I certainly am not going to call her up and ask her for a favor after doing that." She is doing good, no she can't come today, she has plans with her parents."

The connection becomes even more staticky and I can only hear every other word Noah is saying. " Okay,- love you, - try- later- -miss you- careful-." The call disconnects.

I stare at the phone in frustration a moment then toss it down on the bed, climbing out to go get ready to do as promised, and spend time with Asher. My stomach drops as I head to take a shower.

..........

I pull up at Noah's, working up the nerve to get out and go up to the door. I can tell that his parents cars aren't there, so maybe no one is home? I think hopefully. I force myself out of the car and walk up and knock on the front door. I am just about to turn around and leave, when the door swings open.

"Took you long enough." Asher drawls.

I raise my eyebrow, my expression asking what he means.

" Oh, I know you are here because Noah asked you to check in on me. And your such a good, dutiful girlfriend, I thought you would be here sooner." His tone was sarcastic and mocking.

" Well, I checked, your alive, I guess I will be going now." I fumed, thoroughly annoyed at his demeanor. Turning to go, I tense as I feel what is now becoming a more expected shocking sensation as his hand lands on my shoulder and turns me back around.

" No, wait. I'm sorry, stay." He apologizes, although he doesn't look sorry at all.

Against my better judgement, I walk past him into the living room, head held high. " Fine, well what have you been up too, then?" I ask, changing the subject.